A Warm Rain (Shingen Takeda x Reader)

A/N: Wrote some self-indulgent angst for my second run through this beautiful man's route.

I do not own Ikemen Sengoku, any of its characters, or the picture. I do, however, own the plot of this fanfic. Please do not reblog or repost my works on any other website.

Prompt: Rain

A thundering boom shook the walls, nearly drowning out the sound of your cries from beyond the sliding doors he'd been forced to wait outside of. Exhaling a slow breath, Shingen closed his eyes against the tears blurring his vision, a steady stream of silent prayers escaping slightly parted lips as he curled in on himself. Yukimura stood nearby, tapping his foot without a word. The older man could tell he wanted to speak and was grateful that he didn't. In all his years of fighting, he had never been so terrified before, and all he wanted to do was shut down if he couldn't do anything to bring an end to your suffering.

He just felt so useless.

Had it been days or hours? Shingen couldn't tell when each pained scream wrenched at his heart and made him tremble. He had already left bloody crescents in his calloused palms from how hard he'd been clenching his fists, yet he knew the agony he was feeling was nothing compared to what you were going through.

The rain had started last night, the beginning of what promised to be a serious summer storm making its way across Kai, and had continued through the night, gaining intensity. Just that morning - or was it yesterday morning? - Shingen had been sitting with you, watching it drench the garden and the rest of the castle from your shared room. He'd held you safe and sound, sitting between his legs with his arms wrapped around you and your hands covering his as they rested on your pregnant belly.

You had mentioned you'd been feeling pangs when you woke up that morning, but had dismissed them as false contractions. They had occurred a few times in the past few weeks as your due date loomed closer, but you were still a good month away from giving birth. You didn't seem overly concerned so Shingen decided to trust you on it, but he was still a little concerned, so he insisted you let him pamper you, massaging your sore body from time to time.

Since you had found out you were pregnant, the love and affection he liked to shower you with had increased exponentially. Every spare moment he had was spent with you, to the point that Yukimura liked to grumble that he was attached to you at the hip. You could barely walk a few steps without Shingen at your heels, asking where you were going, if you wanted anything, if you were feeling okay. It annoyed you sometimes when you were trying to sew in peace, but you couldn't deny him when he was practically buzzing with joy.

"My goddess is pregnant with my child." Every time he pressed his ear to your growing belly, listening to the sounds of his child moving within, a gentle smile would spread across his handsome face, and he would look up at you with so much love it made your heart swell for the man you'd fallen in love with, for the life you'd created together. "I won't jinx it by wondering if I deserve to be this happy."

Neither of you could wait to meet the child that had been born of your love, a little Takeda prince or princess to love and fawn over and fill Tsutsujigasaki Castle with the sound of little pounding feet. Shingen may have been more excited than you actually. He'd been waiting for a family for so long and now he only had to wait a month longer until his angel added another blessing to the list.

That morning he was holding you as he usually did when your back was aching or your feet hurt, letting you lean into his chest as his hands rubbed gentle circles into your belly and he pressed kisses into your hair. Every time the baby kicked, he would smile and tap back, chuckling into your neck. "Restless today, huh?"