Chapter 3 "Not Like Us"

"Daddy!" An 8-year-old mika swam towards his father.

"What is it now, Mikaela?" The older mermaid looked down at his son. Although he did not have time for his son's childish nonsense, He did not want to turn him away. "Why aren't you studying?"

"I was studying but Mr. Bathory told me something interesting and I wanted to share it with you!" Mika said excitedly. A gleam in his blue eyes.

"Mikaela, dear. Your father is quite busy.." Mika's mother who was nearby tried to usher the young boy away not wanting her husband to complain about him wasting his time.

"Let him speak." Mika's father said calmly but with authority. He was curious to know what Ferid Bathory could be filling his son's head with. She hesitantly let go of mika.

"He said that there are creatures similar to us but without tails! They sound amazing, daddy! I want to meet one!" Mika said excitement dripping from every word. He looked up at his dad to see if he shared the same enthusiasm but he only wore a frown.

"No, Mikaela. Being anywhere near a human is forbidden. Go back and study."  He said calmly.

"But daddy, They are the same as us, right? Maybe we can be friends-"

"That's impossible!" Mika shrank back at the loudness of his dad's voice. "Humans are NOT like us. They are manipulative, sick beings. If they get their hands on you, they will hurt you. Do you understand, Mikaela? Stay away from humans! "

Mika's eyes shot open bringing him back to the present. His Dream just now was not a dream  but a memory. A memory from ten years ago.

Ever since meeting Yuu, the memory kept resurfacing every time he closed his eyes. Reminding him of his father's words that day. Reminding him that what he was doing was probably very dangerous, but he couldn't help it.  He felt a strange attraction towards the human. Although he hadn't known him for long, he can tell that Yuu wasn't dangerous.

Today, he was meeting him again. Mika didn't know when Yuu would be there or even if he was going to be there at all but he keeps going, anyway. He couldn't help but smile every time he saw the black-haired human sitting on the rocks.

Mika was almost out of the kingdom when a familiar voice stopped him in his path.

" Mika. Mika. Mi Mika! " The voice said in a melodious yet creepy way. Mika turned around to see a long silver-haired mermaid with a crimson tail swimming towards him. It was none other than Ferid Bathory.

Ferid has been his tutor since he was eight. Truthfully, Ferid creeps Mika out and annoyed the hell out of him but he was the one who taught him about humans and convinced him to venture out on his own. Without Ferid, He'd probably still be sitting in this kingdom, never have met yuu and for that he's thankful.

"What do you want, Ferid?" He asked the smirking mermaid.

"What happened to addressing me as Mr. Bathory?"

"You aren't my tutor anymore."

"That's true," Ferid agreed. "But I am older than you. Respect, Mika dear. Did I not teach you anything?"

Mika didn't say anything back. He only stared at ferid waiting for the reason Ferid sought him out. Thankfully, he got the message.

"I didn't exactly want anything. I saw you heading out of the kingdom and was curious on where our young prince is heading to." Ferid's smirk grew even bigger when a thought crossed his mind. "Are you on your way to meet with your little human friend?"

"How did you-" Mika's eyes went wide. He hadn't told anyone about where he was going or the fact that he had met a human.

"Nothing goes on in this kingdom without me knowing,  Mika dear." Ferid face suddenly turned serious which is unusual. Mika was coming to think the mermaid wore a permanent smirk.

"Please be careful. Even though your human friend may seem nice doesn't mean all humans are."
The serious face on Ferid didn't last long and returned to its normal expression.

"Have fun with your little princess!" He sang before swimming off. Mika was at a lost for words. Ferid never cared about his well-being. What was with this sudden life lesson?

Mika shook his head and thought it'd be best not to question everything that Ferid does and continued on his path.

Mika was reading a book yuu had given him. Despite the human language being so different from the mermaid language, he was learning it quickly. From what he learned from ferid, humans have many different languages and he guessed this was just one. Mika kind of wanted to try to learn all of them but knew that was probably not going to happen.

"Hey, Mika..." Yuu said bringing mika back to reality. "I've wanted to know this ever since I met you but mermaids have their own language right?"

"That's right."

"And you didn't know Japanese before we met?" Yuu said trying to make sense of whatever was on his mind. Mika shook his head.

"When I met you, It was my first time away from home. So I didn't really have the need for other languages."

"Then how the hell can I understand you and you can understand me?" Mika knew this answer would come up sooner or later. The answer was simple. The only problem was if yuu would believe him or not. Mika knew he was still trying to get used to the fact that he was a mermaid. He can tell from the way yuu looks every time he sees his tail.

"Magic," Mika said simply.

"What?"

"I know you're probably not going to believe me but," Mika paused briefly to look at you who was staring at him intently. "It's a type of magic that automatically makes whoever we are talking to, whether it be fish or humans, understand what we are saying and vice versa."

Yuu didn't say anything at first, he stayed silent, trying to process this information. Mika ,however, mistook this reaction for not believing.

"And as I expected, you don't believe me," Mika said looking down.

"N-No, I believe you." Mika looked up at yuu in surprise.

"You do?!"

"You don't seem like the type to tell me things to fuck with me," Yuu turned his head to look at the horizon. "Mermaids exist so why not magic?"

Mika smiled. Yuu was already so trusting of him despite not knowing him long. It may just be Yyuu's personality to be so trusting of his friends but Mika liked that.

"Hey! Maybe even vampires exist too!"

"Now THAT'S just crazy."

Mika and Yuu both looked at each other before bursting out laughing.

"Yeah, I was just kidding about that last thing."

Mika looked down at the book he was reading. The illustration on the page reminded him of his own question he wanted to ask.

"Hey, Yuu?"

"Yeah?"

"What's a kiss?"