Chapter 4 "affection"

"What's a Kiss?"

Yuu froze. He didn't know how to answer this question. Sure, It wasn't as bad as having to have 'the talk' with your parents or something but it was still as fucking awkward. He could feel his face heating up as he looked everywhere but at the blonde.

"Yuu?" Mika said trying to get Yuu's attention who seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. After several minutes has passed, Yuu finally opened his mouth.

"Um...well..." Yuu knew he was probably as red as a tomato by now. "I-it's something p-people do t-to show affection."

"Affection?"

"Yea, If you really like someone then you well...Kiss them?"

His sentence came out more as a question than Yuu had planned but he hoped Mika had understood. He really wanted to stop talking about this.

Mika didn't say anything. He was trying to get what Yuu had just said.

"If you really like someone... " He thought. Mika looked at Yuu who seemed to be trying to avoid looking him.

"Yuu?" Mika said once more. Yuu turned his head towards Mika who grabbed his face and pulled him down so that he was eye level with him. They were so close that their noses touched. If Yuu wasn't already red, he was sure he was now.

"M-mika, what are y-" Before he could finish his sentence Mika crashed his lips against Yuu's. Yuu was too shocked to move, He just sat there letting Mika kiss him.

Mika pulled away and smiled up at Yuu.

"w-what.." Yuu stuttered his face turning an even deeper shade of red. "...the hell?!"

"You're supposed to kiss the people you like, right?" Mika asked his smile still on his face. "I like you."

"I-uh.." Yuu was at a loss for words.

Ten seconds passed and then five minutes and Yuu was still beet red with the expression on his face. Mika's smile slowly fell in that time and was replaced with confusion.

"Yuu-" He started to say bringing the human back to reality.

"I...I have to go!" Yuu blurted out while grabbing his belongings and throwing them haphazardly into his bag.

Mika tried to get his attention but it was like his voice wasn't reaching him at all.

Once he had everything, Yuu slung his bag on his shoulder and got up.

Yuu, wait!" Mika called after the boy but Yuu hurried away leaving a confused Mika behind.

"Did I do something wrong?' Mika thought to himself before diving underwater to return home.

———————-

The next day Mika returned to the rock near the beach but Yuu never showed up. Several days passed causing Mika to start worrying if something bad had happen to him.

One day one of the mermaids noticed Mika swimming around with a solemn look on his face. Mika had always worn a smile on his face despite growing up the way he did; so seeing him looking so upset was worrying.

Sensing someone close by, Mika looked up and saw a yellow-tailed mermaid swimming up to him. The mermaid had long, wavy, brown hair and yellow eyes to match her tail. Mika remembers seeing her around the castle a lot but never really gotten close to her.

"Hello Mikaela!" The girl greeted cheerfully.

"Arisa..." Mika greeted back.

"Is everything alright?" She asked concerned.