PART TWO

*Next stop, Summerhill Station. The doors will open on the right* The automated voice brings me back to reality, and force of habit, I fish my phone out of my bag to check the time. My heart sinks as I unlock the screen and see a message from a 416 number I don't have saved in my contacts. I open it, and there, on the screen, is my name, spelt correctly, with a question mark at the end. "Congrats, Mendes" I think to myself. So I reply:

"Very good! 5 points to Gryffindor!"

I barely have time to click the arrow at the top of my screen that I see that grey bubble at the bottom. "I love the enthusiasm." My phone dings audibly now that Do Not Disturb has been disabled, and my heart skips a beat. It's gonna have to stop doing that...

"Fellow HP fan?" Shawn says.

"I guess you could say that!" I send, with a pic of the tattoo on my arm; Hermione's wand.

"Oh wow!" is his reply.

Now, I don't know what to answer to that, but this conversation cannot die.

"Yeah, I'm a nerd, you can say it! So, you like Harry Potter as well?"

"Haha, if you're a nerd, I'm a nerd. I was actually thinking of getting another tattoo soon, but didn't know what. Do you mind if I use yours as inspiration?"

"Haha for sure! You can find a lot of HP inspired tattoos online, too."

And I didn't get a reply after that. After a few minutes, I start to overthink and be worried, but then I remember how boys are. So I put on a playlist and clean up around my apartment. I want to call my best friend and tell him what happened, but I also know how I have a tendency to jinx things, so I keep my mouth shut. I've been single for a while now, and a cute, interesting guy might show interest in me? I can't afford to take any chances.

Later that night, my phone starts quacking, and I curse the day I thought it was funny to change my ringtone to the duck. But the more it plays, the funnier it gets, so I smile and pick up.

"Oui allo?"

"Uh, sorry? Is Alice there?"

"Oops! Sorry, yes it's me. Hi!"

It's Shawn. He's calling me? Why didn't he just reply to my text? Why couldn't he text me all afternoon?

"Was that- what language was that?" he asks.

"That was French, it's my first language. Normally people who call me are family members so, force of habit, sorry!"

"No, don't be sorry. That's cool! It actually segues perfectly to what I'm calling about: there's a lot I don't know about you, and I'd like to take you out, to get to know you better."

There's a pause in the conversation. My thoughts are going a mile a minute. Of course I'd wanna go on a date! Why else did I give him my number? But then again he has to ask! Oh why can't I be smooth... I bet I'll be falling asleep tonight and I'll find the perfect thing to say. Isn't that how it always goes? Oh no, I've been silent for a while. Just say something, Alice, anything!

"Yes!" I exclaim, unable to hide my excitement. "Uhm," I clear my throat, "I mean, sure, that's a good idea. Anything in mind?"

"Are you free on weekdays? 'Cause I know this great place for Taco Tuesdays!"

Tacos. On a first date. What could possibly go wrong?

"I get off work around 5, so any time after that is good," I hear myself say, agreeing to eat tacos in front of someone I want to impress.

"Perfect! We can meet there at 7! I'll text you the details."

We say goodbye, and as he's about to hang up, I realize I technically never asked for his name:

"Oh wait! I never caught your name!"

That is a bit risky, I know. I already know who he is, but he doesn't have to know that. I'll let him bring up his superstardom on his own.

"Ah yeah, right, uh, it's Shawn," he seems surprised at the question.

"Alright then, good night Shawn."

I immediately save his contact as 'Sean (sp?)' and chuckle to myself. Tuesday night cannot come soon enough.