PART THIRTY SEVEN

I wake up on Friday morning to my alarm, but remember my boss agreed to let me have the day off, so I silence my phone and turn around so I face Shawn. I know he's faking being asleep so I don't feel bad I woke him, so I smile, kiss his lips and close my eyes again.

We wake up about an hour later and Shawn suggests we go out for brunch. I ask him if it's a good idea, now that people know he's dating someone, to go out, but he convinces me that it's Friday morning, people are at work or in school, they're not getting brunch! And if we do get spotted, we'll smile and wave and be on our way! Since he doesn't really go out for brunch that much, I choose the restaurant. We get dressed and ready to go, and catch an Uber to Saving Grace because the street parking there is awful. We get seated almost immediately, thanks to the fact that, just like Shawn predicted, it's Friday morning.

"Okay, whatever you order, we are getting a plate of the French toast to share because it is the most delicious thing here," I tell Shawn as we sit down.

"How long have you been waiting to say that, Alice?" he laughs.

"Pretty much since we decided to come here," I say in all seriousness.

We look at the menu and finally choose what we want to get. We get the attention of our waitress and place our order. She looks at us and I feel like she recognized Shawn, but she didn't comment on it though. We have a great time, we share good food, and a lot of cute moments. Again, a lot of mental pictures added to my brain's camera roll.

"Alright Shawn. It's Friday. I want my surprise!"

He laughs.

"I was wondering how much time I had before you brought it up!" he answers. "It's at home. You'll have to be a little more patient! It'll be worth it, I promise," he says between two bites. "And wow, you weren't lying! That French toast is amazing! How come you've never brought me here before?"

I shrug, and hastily eat the last bites from my plate.

"Well, someone's in a hurry!" Shawn notices.

"You know how much I love surprises! Can we go?" I try to press him.

"Babe, we have all day. I was thinking we could go for a walk. We're right next to Trinity Bellwoods Park. C'mon!"

I smile as agreement, and I go to the bathroom while Shawn finishes his food and gets the check. We meet outside, and he takes my hand in his as we walk towards the park. Toronto is so beautiful that time of year. The trees are in bloom, and the air is fresh. The park makes you forget you're in a big city for a moment. I enjoy every second of it with Shawn as he points out all the beautiful things he sees. *Click*

We Uber home again, and I remember that's where my surprise is — okay, it never left my mind — so I take off my shoes and jacket in a hurry and go sit on the couch. I close my eyes and yell out for Shawn:

"I'm waiting!"

A minute later, I hear Shawn shuffle for something in his jacket. Or his pants? It's in a piece of clothing. He walks over to me and puts a small piece of plastic in my hand. I open my eyes, and see a flash drive. What? Is this..?

"Shawn Peter Raul Mendes. Is this- What is this?!" I ask him, trying to hide how very excited I am.

"It's your song," he says with an innocent smile.

"My song!"

"Yes. Well, Your Song. The title is actually Your Song. So, yeah I guess you could refer to it as 'My Song', or 'Your Song'. Up to you," he brings his face forward to kiss me lightly on the lips. "It's your song," he whispers.

I throw my arms around him and pull him tightly into a hug. I can't believe it! I didn't think I'd get to hear it before a long time, still! We know that 'soon' has a whole different meaning for that guy...

"When did you- How- Wow, Shawn, I can't believe it," I say as I pull back and look into his eyes.

"Wait til you hear it before thanking me!" Shawn laughs.

"Are you kidding! It's gonna be so good for sure! And you have no idea what this means to me. Especially today," I confess.

"I think I do." He brings a hand to my chin. "I rushed everyone at the studio to get it done before I left. I want you to have this piece of me with you, always. I want you to listen to it and be reminded of how special you are to me."

"Shawn!" I exclaim before kissing him.

I pull away, and we share a look before I go grab my computer from Shawn's bedside table, and bring it back to plug in the flash drive.

"No no! Alice! Not while I'm here. I don't wanna be here when you listen to it for the first time!" Shawn stops me.

"What? Well that's not fair! Why not?"

"Because... I'm nervous," he replies with the cutest look on his face.

"Oh my god, you're incredible," I say as I lunge towards him and force him to lie down on the couch.

Our lips meet, and Shawn is no longer arguing with me. I sure know how to shut him up.