1

~Emily~

"Crap. My mom is going to be so mad!"

I snapped out of my trance and glanced at the graded test that Alice Fulk, my best friend, slid over to my desk. She got a 73.

"You did better than me!" I exclaimed, showing her my 50. Math is my worst subject.

"Well, you're still lucky. Dallas probably won't even care!" Alice replies. I could practically see the stars in her eyes when she said his name. Alice is unhealthily obsessed with my brother, Dallas Winston. He is... very well known, to say. Infamous. He is a well known criminal who has been in jail multiple times for crimes such as stealing, trespassing, etc. Ever since he's been put in charge of me, though, he has been more careful. He doesn't want me to be taken away from him and be put in a home.

He is my legal guardian, as our parents don't want us. We live in the poorer side of town in the East, the rich kids call us greasers.

Dally and I left New York, where we were born, when I was just 8 and Dally was 10. He packed up the necessities and took me all the way here to get away from our parents. They hated us and abused us physically and verbally. We lived in the streets for a while, abandoned houses, things like that, until Dally met the gang. They let us stay at their houses sometimes. Then when Dally turned 13, he became an emancipated minor. He then finally was able to buy a house and he had a job. That's when, legally, I was under his care.

The rich kids who live in the West side are called Socs. Greasers wear torn, ripped clothes and style their hair with lots of grease; and Socs wear new and expensive brands.

My hair is my favorite thing about me, it's long and wavy and goes down to my shoulders. It's a deep brown with natural highlights and darker undertones.

I rolled my eyes at her. "Yeah, but I care!"

Alice shook her head at me and her hair flipped around her shoulders. She was a greaser as well, and she had long-ish blond hair and blue eyes.

Alice's mom was a greaser who fell in love with a Soc. Her dad's parents didn't want him marrying a lower class, so when he did, the family disowned him, and he became poor. However, he always said it was worth it for Alice's mom's love. That's the kind of love story I want.

"So what are your plans for today? I would ask to hang out, but I've got to go to the doctor's. Again." She rolled her eyes.

I smiled at her. "I'm going to the Curtis' tonight."

Dally's bestfriends are basically a gang, and because he's my brother, I've gotten close to them also.

"Why so smiley?" She teased, knowing exactly why. I had the biggest crush on the youngest Curtis brother, Ponyboy.

"Well Dally's going tonight, which gives me the perfect excuse to go and see Ponyboy. It would be weird if I went there without Dal'. You could always come with me, you know."

All these years that Alice and I had been friends, she'd never met the gang.

Alice sighed. "Maybe another time. Wish I could today, but I've got to go to the doctor. Another boring Friday night!"