4

"Should I change my hair? What do you think?"

I looked up from my notebook and over at Alice. She was over my house today and we were just hanging out while Dally was at work.

Yesterday, after Ponyboy heard what I had said, I ran out of his house so quick and didn't stop until I got home where I immediately jumped into my bed and screamed in my pillow.

Alice sat at my vanity in front of the old mirror staring at her reflection.

"Huh?" I asked, distracted.

She sighed dramatically. "I said, should I change my hair?"

"How so?" I asked her.

"I don't know... cut it or something?" She replied.

"No way. You should grow it out longer." I told her.

She brought a clump of hair over her forehead and held her finger over it like scissors. "How about bangs?"

"Absolutely no." I said.

"Well I don't wanna dye my hair and ruin it, so I guess I'm going to grow it out."

She was talking to me, but I wasn't really paying much attention. I was writing in my diary a plan on how to never, ever speak to Ponyboy again.

"Hello? Hello? Emily, are you even listening to me?"

"What?" I looked up and Alice hopped on my bed where I was sitting.

"What are you even doing that's so distracting anyways?" She snatched the book from my hands. My eyes widened.

"Alice no!"

"What, is this your diary?" She teased, holding it over my head. She jumped up and opened it up. "Omg, something else happened besides the movies! Why didn't you tell me?"

I grabbed it back from her hands.

"I don't know... it's sort of embarrassing, I guess." I replied.

"How?"

"Well..." I explained to her about what had happened yesterday at the Curtis'. How I had spilled my guts out on accident because I apparently don't know how to keep my thoughts in my head.

"Oh my gosh! That's terrible!" She gushed.

I sighed. "Yeah, that helps."

I laughed at her and we continued to discuss what she wanted to do with her hair.

"Maybe you could dye it another color, like strawberry blond or maybe brown?" I told her.

Her eyes widened. "I already said I can't do that. My mom and dad would hate me forever if I ever dyed my hair!"

"You know," I began, "You're really lucky to have parents who love you so much."

Alice frowned. "I'm sorry, Emily. Sometimes I forget to think before I say stuff. I know you don't like talking about that stuff."