17

~Emily~
When we got downstairs, everyone was in the living room except for Darry, who was making breakfast in the kitchen.

Mostly everyone had work that day, so Dally, Two Bit, Pony, and I were gonna go see Johnny after they left and the rest of the guys would go later.

Soda sat on the couch reading the newspaper. I sat down next to him and stared over his shoulder. It must be pretty interesting if he's reading willingly.

Local hero runaway murderer??? The title of the headlining article said.

"Well don't you two look awfully cozy," Steve sneered from across the room. Soda ignored him and I just rolled my eyes.

"What?" He asked, "Emily, you sure are close to him... just like how close you were to Ponyboy last night, huh? She's for the team!" He whispered the last part.

"Shut up Steve," Ponyboy deadpanned.

"You shut up!" He fired back. "You better come over here and get your girl before your brother steals her!"

"Stop it," I said quietly.

"Actually, you might be good. Soda doesn't date annoying bitches like her," Steve said.

"Stop it!" I said, louder this time.

"Stop it!" He mimicked in a high pitches voice.

Tears of anger burned in my eyes. A lot of times I cry when I'm really, really mad. I blinked hard. I can't cry. Not now. Not here, in front of everybody.

I calmly got up and walked into the kitchen. I sat at the table and clenched my hands into fists.

I closed my eyes and put my head in my hands. I'll be mad for ten seconds. Just ten, then it doesn't matter anymore.

One.

The chair next to me squeaked, and it was Ponyboy sitting down. I ignored him.

Two, three. Four, five, six.

"Hey guys, everything okay?" I heard Darry ask from across the kitchen.

Seven, eight, nine.

"Yeah," Pony replied, "Steve's just being... well, Steve's being Steve."

Ten.

I took a deep breath and lifted my head up.

"He's probably just worked up about the big rumble," Darry replied nonchalantly.

That caught my attention. "Big rumble?" I asked. "What rumble?"

When Darry didn't answer, I whipped around to face Pony. "What big rumble?" I demanded.

"Um, Dally told us not to tell you..."

At the perfect time, Dally entered the kitchen.

"What's the big rumble!" I said, getting annoyed.