14

~Emily~
It had felt like we were sitting there for an eternity.

"W-what's going on over there," Alice cried, "I can't l-look".

I leaned over the side of the car and squinted my eyes to see the church. Parents were screaming, little kids crying.

"I can't see them," I replied. "Wait! Oh my god, look!"

I grabbed Alice roughly by the shoulder and turned her so she could see what was happening.

Ponyboy was climbing out of the window and his whole jacket was on fire!

"I have to go help," I said, opening the car door.

"No!" Alice screamed. "You heard what Dallas said. Please, stay."

"I can't just sit here and watch that!" I screamed. "Come on!"

"Emily, stop." Alice said, "calm down."

I saw Dally smack Ponyboy across the back so hard he fell over and passed out. I covered my mouth with my hands as tears rolled down my face. I think he's dead.

Dally's arm looked horrible from what I could see, and when I saw Johnny, I was relieved. He looked okay as he pulled out a kid from the window.

Suddenly, I saw a piece of wood from the ceiling of the church, it was burning quicker and it started to fall down. Johnny was right under it.

Fuck it, I thought. I wriggled away from Alice's grasp and, all in one motion, opened the car door, swung my legs out, jumped out, and ran.

"JOHNNY!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "JOHNNY, MOVE!"

I was too late. The large piece of timber fell right on top of him, crushing him, burning him.

I ran over stumbling because tears were blurring my vision.

I could hear Dally yelling and cursing at me for getting out of the car, but I couldn't worry about that right now. All that was on my mind was helping Johnny.

I couldn't tell myself how I was even going to being to do anything. Rationality left my body as I just grabbed the burning timber and used all my strength to lift it up. It was on fire, and apparently my hands were too, but I couldn't even feel it. Adrenaline is a strong drug.

I wasn't strong enough to lift it all the way off. It was high enough that Johnny could crawl out, but he was too weak to.

"Help me!" I cried. "Help!"

My arms began shaking. I was too weak to hold the wood. I heard sirens in the distance. The ambulance.

"Put it down now. Drop it, Em!"

When I refocused my attention and turned back around, I saw that Dally had come and pulled Johnny from under the wood with his one good arm.

Johnny lay, almost lifeless. Out of nowhere, a paramedic came and lifted him onto a stretcher. They put Dally on a stretcher as well and started doing stuff to his arm.