Seventeen

My parents sat in front of Jisung and I, my dad's eyes watching his every move. Jisung was visibly sweating and held a nervous smile towards my smiling mom and serious dad. When my dad finally cleared his throat and folded his hands on his lap, he spoke.

"So what are your intentions with my daughter?" He asked Jisung, staring directly in his eyes, daring him to break eye contact.

Jisung cleared his throat and sat up straighter before answering.

"I plan on giving her all the love and attention she wants, sir," he answered loud and clear, causing me to snicker a bit.

My mom glared and hushed me before turning her attention to Jisung.

"I think that's lovely, honey. Please ignore my husband, he's just being a dad," my mom informed Jisung.

"It's alright, I expected it anyway," Jisung laughed it off.

My dad rolled his eyes but continued.

"Let's just get straight to the point," my dad began.

"If you hurt my daughter, you're going to have to deal with me, alright? I have a shotgun in the-"

"Honey!" My mom cut my dad off and pulled his ear, his face coming closer to her as he yelled in pain.

"Now you listen here Bob, you tell this young man you're sorry. He did not come all the way over here to listen to this nonsense," She ranted.

My dad quickly agreed and when my mom let him go, he rubbed his now red ear. She rose her brow and waited for his apology.

"I'm sorry, I just don't want my daughter to get hurt," My dad apologized and then gave my mom a look as if saying, 'you happy now?'

"Oh, it's alright, sir! I honestly thought this talk would be worse," Jisung shrugged it off.

"You see, Youjin? Everything's fine," My dad reassured my mom.

"Oh shut up and hurry up, let's get ready to sing to Eva," My mom scolded my dad before turning to us with a smile.

"Okay, Eva, you ready?"

I nodded and my parents quickly whipped out their phones, pressing the record button before anything else happened. Jisung went to go sit by my parents wanting me to be alone in the video because he didn't want to 'ruin it.' If anything, he would make the video better.

As they sang, Jisung's eyes wouldn't leave my face, causing me to get a little self conscious. He had a grin plastered on his face, showing off his white Colgate teeth. His eyes seemed like an endless galaxy as my birthday candle reflected on his irises. I could admire him forever.

I hadn't realized they stopped singing until I heard my mom's voice urging me to cut the cake.

"Come on, Eva, cut the cake!" My mom handed me a knife.

I cut exactly 4 slices for each of us and we conversed as a whole. My dad was finally warming up to Jisung and acted as if he didn't threaten him at all with his shotgun earlier. My mom was beyond excited that I finally got a boyfriend, even thought she didn't know that we weren't exactly official yet.

After a while, Jisung and I bid my parents a goodnight and started our walk home.

"You know, I didn't expect you to tell my parents you were my boyfriend," I told Jisung as we walked hand in hand.

"Why wouldn't I?" He replied.

"Well, maybe it's the fact that you haven't asked me to be your girlfriend yet," I laughed.

"I didn't know how to," he pouted.

"It doesn't have to be something big," I shrugged.

Jisung stopped walking and turned to me.

"Then, will you be my girlfriend?" He smiled.

"No," I snorted.

His smile dropped and his eyes widened.

"What? But you just said-"

"Yeah, because I was expecting you to at least go down on one knee and ask me," I scoffed.

He got down on one knee and continued.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked as he looked up at me, holding my hand.

I burst out laughing at how dumb, but cute he looked. He stared at me in confusion as he watched me.

"What's so funny?" He frowned.

"You didn't have to get down on one knee, you stupid. I just wanted to see if you'd actually do it," I laughed and pulled him back up to his feet.

"Aww, you made me dirty my jeans," he whined as he dusted off the dirt on his pants.

"I'm sorry," I hugged him, my cheek coming in contact with his chest as his arms circled my waist. They felt like home.

"I'm still sad over the fact I couldn't get you anything for your birthday," Jisung said.

"Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter," I rolled my eyes.

"Just having you here with me is enough," I said.

We stayed quiet for a moment before bursting out laughing.

"I think that's the cheesiest thing you've ever said," Jisung wheezed.

"Stop, I'm trying here," I slapped his shoulder.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and we continued to walk again. He talked about how much he liked my parents, and how he was actually scared that my dad would shoot him with his shotgun. Honestly, my dad wouldn't hesitate, but I would never tell Jisung that.

When we finally arrived to my apartment, Jisung pulled me to his chest again. His warmth enveloped me as we stood there in silence. He then pulled back and neared his face towards mine until our lips met for a brief moment.

"Happy birthday, Eva."