four

~Emma's POV~

I wake up hearing Diego crying for his mother. Regina, who's in a deep sleep, can't hear him. I slowly and carefully move away from her. I stand up and walk out the room. I open the door wider and squeaking hinges scare Diego. He cries for Regina. I go closer to his crib and reach out to pick him up. He looks at me still crying. He gives in and comes to me. I take him out the crib and walk back to Regina's room.

"Mamá?" He whines.

"She's sleeping," I yawn, "and so should you be." I set him on the bed and lay down. He crawls to Regina and pulls on her tank top. He exposes Regina's breast and starts breastfeeding. I don't know if I should wake her up or not. She looks so peaceful. She's been so tired lately. I decide not to wake her up.

"Diego. Your mommy is sleeping, don't wake her up."

"Okay papi."

"What?"

"I say okay... papi." He covers Regina's breast up and looks at me.

"What?"

"No take my milk." I look at him confused as shit. "My milk." He puts his hand on Regina's chest.

"Diego I'm not gonna take your milk. Stop being territorial."

"I dunno what you talking bout."

"Yeah you do."

"No I don't."

"Why did you call me papi?"

"Cuz you name not Emmy. Mommy call you dat, so dat you name."

"Do you know what papi means?"

"Daddy. I don't see my daddy. He don't come no more. He got a new mommy person. Him name Stephanie. I no like him."

"Is Stephanie a boy or girl."

"Girl she look like a boy."

I choke on my laughter. "What?"

"She a girl but she look like a boy. She big big. She got a lotta milk." He points to Regina's chest. He must think that all breast have milk.

"Diego do you like me?"

"Yep. I scared of you da first time I see you cuz I don't see ya before."

"Yeah. What made you not scared of me?"

"You beed nice ya me and you don't force me ta talk ta ya. Mamá say you nice too." He smiles at me.

"In a little bit we're going to your dad's house so you can spend some time with him."

"I come home too wit you. I wave and den we going home."

"No little man. You're gonna stay over."

"I don't wanna."

"Your mom said your aunt was gonna be there."

"Yay!" He claps. Regina told me that he loves seeing his aunt. His father and aunt live with their mother and two other siblings.

"You and your cousins are gonna hang out."

"I don't like them." He growls.

"Did you just growl?" He nods with a smile. "I'm hungry. What about you?"

"We eat breakfast?"

"Yeah we should go get some."

"Mamá too."

"No she's sleeping. We'll bring her some back. Let's go. We don't even have to change."

"Okay." I get on the bed and he stands on the bed. He waits for me to help him down. I do and look for a piece of paper. I find a notebook and write a note.