▍SEVENTEEN

the house was quiet when yoongi came home. the detective was exhausted and expecting jimin to be waiting for him at the front door or racing towards him once he opened the door, but no such thing happened. yoongi didn't think much of it, he just was a little sad not to see how cute jimin would be today. kicking off his shoes with a sigh, he walked further into his apartment to see jimin sitting on the couch with his legs up, staring blankly out in front of him. when he called his name, the blond man slowly turned his head, slightly acknowledging yoongi's presence. it was odd; it was like the lights were on but nobody was home. jimin didn't seem within reality and that made yoongi a little nervous to be witnessing. he walked over and took a seat next to jimin.

"hey... you okay?" jimin nodded. "you sure? i tapped my bracelet a few times but you didn't send anything back. what did you do all day? how was it out? nothing happened right?"

it took a second for yoongi's words to register with the other, but when they did a small grin found itself on jimin's lips. it didn't seem genuine—yoongi could tell—but jimin did his best to sell it. "i got something for you." his voice was low, a little scratchy as if he'd just got done yelling or something. he reached into the pocket of his jacket that rested on the arm of the couch. he pulled out a ring with a thin subtle rainbow band in the middle. he noticed jimin had a matching one. "uh... i saw some market thing happening. so i picked up some earrings and this ring set. i wanted to repay you somehow."

"thank you, jimin." yoongi took it and put it on his finger with a smile. "anything else happen? you had a good day?"

"i guess. i saw some ramen shops i wanna go to. i came home a little early because i got overwhelmed. we should go to those ramen shops tonight or something, or maybe somewhere else in a different part of town, i don't know."

jimin wasn't a talker. he wasn't a quiet person but he wasn't the talkative kind of person either. so yoongi sitting and listening to him ramble on about everything, including things that didn't make any sense was beyond strange. yoongi was beginning to worry, so he grabbed jimin's hand, leaning forward to press a kiss to his lips to quiet him. jimin was stiff under his kiss. jimin was never stiff.

"did something happen?" yoongi asked when he pulled away. jimin's gaze fell and his fingers slipped from yoongi's only to touch the ring.

"this ring is a symbol," jimin spoke, voice lower than ever before. it was almost as if he didn't want yoongi to hear him. "you should know that i appreciate and cherish you. everything you've done to help me. you're the kindest person i've ever met and i want you to know that no matter what happens, whether you can save me or not, just know that you've made me happy. you've already hit your goal. i am happy, because i have you."

jimin made it clear he didn't want to talk anymore, but he did open up a bit more and crawled into yoongi's arms. the detective had so many questions that needed answers but he decided to save it for another time, deciding he can talk to jimin the next morning about it. but whatever it was bothering him, yoongi would just remember that he set enough boundaries for jimin to get help. jimin knew he had yoongi, so yoongi would trust him to let him know when he could about anything. he just hoped jimin would lean on him again, because he didn't want to lose him.