▍TWENTY

jimin was supposed to be happy. he was supposed to feel relieved and welcomed and as if nothing could stop him ever again. he didn't. if anything he felt even worse now that his case was closed. yes, his old boss was behind bars and the rest of the building was torn down, but that meant yoongi was finished with his case. that also led jimin to question what would happen next. he technically was only living with yoongi under protection (and it wasn't like he was paying rent to keep living there or anything), which meant he very well could be out on the streets if yoongi told him to leave. he probably wanted him to; jimin wasn't really anything special.

no, jimin thought, combating his inner thoughts, yoongi wants me here. he wouldn't tell me all those nice things if he was planning on ditching me. jimin had to remember everything yoongi said. there were no lies behind them—yoongi always told the truth—so he shouldn't have to worry so much about whether or not yoongi wanted him. were the kisses not enough? did he need something more to prove that yoongi wanted him around? he stared at the ring he wore and smiled softly, then his eyes moved to the bracelet. yoongi wouldn't have done all of this if he didn't want me... right? just then, the door swung open and jimin bolted up and ran to it, seeing a very tired looking yoongi slipping off his shoes.

"yoongi," he spoke quietly, and the detective's head moved slightly to look at him. he had prominent bags under his eyes and his lips were pale, but he still managed to give a sweet grin to the other.

"hey, jim." the detective pulled the blond by his waist closer, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. it was a bit sloppy but jimin could only focus on the nickname he received.

"jim?" he questioned when he pulled away and yoongi nodded.

"you like it? i think it suits you."

jimin looked into yoongi's eyes; they were incredibly dull from sleep deprivation but still warm and inviting. it was a bit perplexing but jimin could see something hidden in his pupils. he didn't want to say the word out loud, but he knew what it was.

"you're not going to kick me out, are you?" yoongi blinked, the confusion setting deep within the creases of his face before he opened his mouth to speak. jimin beat him to it. "you're not going to throw me out on the streets since my case is done and you have no use for me?"

"jimin, sunshine, slow down." yoongi gently touched jimin's shoulders, looking at him desperately. "please calm down. why would i ever do that to you?"

jimin shrugged. "i'm not useful to you, huh? you have no reason to keep me here. it's not like i do anything to help you out like pay rent or anything. why would you keep me around?" jimin was forgetting everything yoongi ever told him as he began to fall backwards into himself. all of those steps he took to push him forward went away, too. he was in reverse, he even moved away from yoongi's touch. "you don't want me, do you? you don't want a disgusting slut like me here anymore."

a pair of arms wrapped around him and the couple fell to their knees. that was when he realized he was crying. in fact, they both were. yoongi was crying as well. it took jimin by surprise.

"jimin, i would never tell you all of what i've told you if i didn't want you around. i want you here, i want your company... i want you. your case is over, yes, but do you really think i only let you stay because of it? i care about you so much. i want you to stay forever, here with me. please don't think i don't want you. you don't have to pay rent, i'm well off already in my line of work. i don't want you to lift a pretty finger. i just want you to live a normal and comfortable life with me. i... i lo—"

"hold that thought," jimin interrupted, pulling away to look at yoongi in the face. "i don't think i'm ready for your declarations, but i think i understand now." the blond gave off a small grin and the older returned it. "i'm sorry, i just got a little freaked out."

"it's okay. i understand. i'll just always remind you that i want you."

jimin helped the detective up, holding his hand tightly. "you look tired. let's call it a night early."

yoongi nodded and followed jimin to the bedroom, where they tucked themselves in and cuddled close, both falling asleep almost instantly due to the comfort of each other's company.

sorry for the long wait for an update. i've been busy and trying to work on multiple things at once. but here it is! i don't know when i'll end this story but i promise to establish their relationship more before doing so. they're cute, what can i say :)