▍EIGHTEEN

the hardest part for jimin was pulling away from the arms locked around his waist. the moment he pulled away, the warmth disappeared and his body went numb. the only thing that was keeping him together was the man lying peacefully in bed, unaware of what was happening. without him, jimin knew he'd revert back to his old ways. he didn't want to do that, but he didn't want yoongi to get hurt more. if he had to return to that disgusting place in order to keep yoongi safe, he'd do it.

he didn't feel the need to pack. they'd remind him of yoongi if he did. he kept the bracelet and the ring, though, because he never wanted to let go of the love he felt. he could admit that it was love but he didn't want to say it out loud. he'd want to stay if he did. so while slipping on his shoes, tears threatening to fall, he took one last look at his love—his heart lying sleeping—before leaving.

the thoughts that filled his mind as he walked the silent streets were frightening and dangerous. he didn't know if his boss would jump him, he didn't know if he'd be killed, he didn't know. he partially wished someone he knew could come and stop him, but of course they had no idea he was doing this. they all worked so hard on his case and he repays them by going right back? jimin hated himself. he hated that he couldn't put more trust into yoongi. it was just that he was afraid of something happening. he didn't want yoongi to get hurt because of him. this was his only hope.

he felt his bracelet buzzing and it almost made him turn back. yoongi must have woken up and was looking for him. he debated turning back, running into yoongi's arms and telling him what he was going to do. he kept walking, though, knowing this was the best he could do for them. if yoongi truly loved him, he'd let him go. those were thoughts jimin kept repeating to force himself forward.

the closer he got to his old job the more his stomach turned. he hated the fear he felt thinking about what would happen. he knew his boss would do something to him and he had an idea of what it was. but what he didn't know was he was being followed. his brain was too focused on the what ifs going back that he didn't see the hand grab him and pull him into an alley. he started to scream, fear overtaking his entire body but a hand slapped over his mouth and a quiet voice was shushing him. his legs went wobbly and his body slack against the other. his heart was raging against his chest and he was panting against the hand, trying to regain his sensibility.

"jimin." he knew this voice. so he turned his head slightly and saw someone he never expected to see. it was namjoon, yoongi's friend. his eyebrows were knotted in confusion as he let jimin go who fell to the concrete ground. "what are you doing out this late? where's yoongi?"

the mention of his name brought tears to his eyes and he cried at namjoon's feet, hugging his leg and begging him to not tell yoongi, anything but that. namjoon let him cry for a while, listening to his painful wails. it was heartbreaking to watch so after a bit he crouched down and lifted jimin's chin.

"jimin... i don't know what's going on, but you need yoongi right now." those words reminded jimin of his bracelet—which had been vibrating like crazy—and he tapped it back with shaky hands, tears falling and his breathing irregular. namjoon helped him up and walked him to his car, driving back to yoongi's apartment. on the way there namjoon had called yoongi who was speaking loudly and extremely fast, but jimin could hear the stress and horror in his tone.

namjoon helped jimin up to yoongi's apartment when they pulled up, and the moment they stepped up to the door it flung open, and jimin was tackled in the hallway. yoongi was on top of him crying, hugging him so tight jimin had trouble breathing. the squeezing and the tackle were both the causes of it, but he figured he deserved it. yoongi, after five whole minutes of hugging jimin and crying, finally lifted up and his face broke jimin's heart. it was red and puffy, as were his eyes that were glossed over from tears they kept falling. his hair was a mess and his body shook a little from what jimin could tell.

"don't you ever just leave without saying something!" yoongi yelled, the anger covering his voice was thick and unmatchable. it made jimin flinch; he'd never heard yoongi speak to him with such a tone. "don't ignore me when i try to reach for you! don't ever leave me like that! i didn't know where you went, why you left and if you'd come back! i was running around looking for you because i was scared something happened to you! how am i supposed to protect you if you do stuff like that?" his voice cracked multiple times, his entire being shaking as he yelled. jimin felt like shit. he did this to yoongi. he made him like this all because he thought it would be for the best. jimin realized that the best thing for him to do was trust yoongi. yoongi trusted him, so he should be able to do the same.

jimin reached for yoongi and pulled him down, hugging him close to his chest, letting him cry into his body. yoongi shook more and jimin could feel his guilt growing. "i'm so sorry. i didn't want to but i thought it was for the best. i thought if i left i could protect you because you're the last person on this earth i want to get hurt. i'm so so sorry."

that night the pair laid in bed together, holding each other as if the world would truly end if they let go. the warmth jimin missed returned and he scolded himself for ever trying to leave. he was still afraid, but yoongi needed him right now. jimin realized that even though he had issues, he still needed to take care of yoongi's feelings. yoongi was struggling just as much even if he never showed it, and jimin needed to take care of him. so he tucked him in close, made sure he could feel him, and decided to give him small kisses to the head. yoongi relaxed in his arms and accepted the love he was receiving, remaining quiet but still obviously thanking jimin.

jimin was afraid, but he could be afraid with people helping him he soon realized. he didn't have to be afraid alone. yoongi was afraid, and he assumed hoseok and namjoon were too. they all were afraid but the thing about friendship was togetherness.

jimin was beginning to understand the meaning.