Maria Ruiz- Pregnant (c)

You let out a sigh as you sat down on your bed, dropping your bag of belongings down next to you. You'd arrived at Lichfield earlier in the week and were lucky to be given a bunk so quickly, likely due to you being heavily pregnant. Barely having sat down for a minute, the woman you assumed was your bunkmate joined you. Like you her stomach was round, however by the looks of it she was further along than you were.

"You new?" She asked.

"Yeah," you nodded. "Y/N."

"Maria," she responded. "How far along are you?"

"Seven months, heck of a time to get caught, right?" You said attempting to make it seem like a joke.

It wasn't a joke though. You had been involved in crime for years and honestly you didn't know how you hadn't been caught however it was hell that when you were imprisoned it was just before your baby was due. You had a few years that you would be stuck behind bars, your baby wouldn't know you, they'd likely be in school by the time you were out. It was a fate you didn't want for them but nevertheless it was what it was.

"I know right," she frowned sitting down opposite you. "She's due any day."

Maria ran a hand over her swollen stomach, leaning back on her bed.

"You're having a girl?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. Never found out, the prison would never pay for that, but it feels like she's a she. You know what you're having?"

"A girl," you stated. "I didn't think I'd be bringing her into the world like this though."

Maria gave you a sympathetic smile. Both of you were in the same boat. You didn't know how long it was until she got out of prison, but even the shortest time forced away from your child was going to be an emotional strain for mother and child.

"Is her daddy taking her?" She asked.

You shook your head. "No. He bailed when he found out that we were having a baby. Son of a bitch. Wouldn't have trusted not to sell her for his next hit anyway. My sister though, she has a son and a daughter, lives in a good area, a pharmacist. She has money, she can give my girl the life I can't, and she said she'll take her for me. At least then she'd bring her to visit. Is your partner still around?"

"Yeah. Yadriel is the best, he was more excited than I was about this. I know he will take care of her and raise her right," she smiled. "But pregnant women in here don't get much help. The guards don't care, and healthcare is minimal until she decides to say hello, then you get to go to hospital. Even if they don't give a shit, the inmates do. We look out for each other."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.