Artesian McCullough- Going Out (c)

Although the curtains were still drawn, no light peaking through, you were awoken by your girlfriend moving next to you. You attempted to peer through the darkness to see her, but you could feel her getting out of bed. Quickly you flicked on the lamp by the side of the bed. Your eyes stung as you adjusted to the light.

Artesian was pulling on a pair of jeans under her nightgown, her usually messy bedhead, pulled up in a bun. It was more than common in recent weeks that you were woken up in the middle of the night by your girlfriend getting dressed to go out.

"Again?" You croaked, trying to hold back a yawn.

"I can't sleep," she stated.

You gave her a pitiful smile. Artesian had been caught up in the riot at the prison where she worked, being a hostage and having to go through a lot of shit that you wished you could have protected her from butt you had been unable to. When she was released with the other hostages, she tried to convince you that she was okay and kept a brave face. Even though she was still adamant that she was okay and not suffering, you knew she was.

As a veteran, she believed she always had to be strong, to not let anything upset or hurt her. However, her not sleeping, her drinking more often than she had before and rarely smiling or connecting with you anymore.

You slipped out of bed, making your way around to her. She threw off her nightgown to pull on her bra and shirt.

"Please don't go," you smiled softly.

She shook her head. "We need the money."

Gently you wrapped your arms around her, not wishing to startle her at all. Resting your chin on her shoulder, you pressed a gentle kiss to her neck.

"You're starting up at the maximum-security facility next month," you commented. "And it's not like we're struggling Artesian. You don't need to be driving strangers around at all hours."

"It distracts me," she said. "I can't sleep without seeing that place, seeing everything that happened."

You squeezed her in your arms, wanting to support and protect her but without her admitting that there was an issue there wasn't any way to help her.

"Please Artesian, not tonight," you whispered. "You don't have to sleep, but don't go out, we'll talk, okay?"

She was hesitant but agreed with a nod of her head, beginning to change back into her night clothes.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.