Chapter One

Vic

I hear the front door open and close from downstairs. I know it's my fiance because he texted me that he was heading home five minutes ago. It's always comforting to know where he is, to know that he's safe.

I finish lighting the candles that now surround our bed then stand back to admire the beautiful scene I've created. I hope he likes it.

I leave the room and hear rattling in the fridge as I jog excitedly down the stairs. I'm always so excited to see him after work. The mere few hours we spend away from each other feel much too long.

"Vic," he calls, sounding exhausted and a little frustrated. "I thought you were going to save me some dinner."

I walk into the kitchen where I find him still looking in the fridge. I go up behind him and slide my arms around his waist.

Unfortunately, he jumps, startled by the action.

"Don't do that to me." he whines, releasing a breath of relief and relaxing his shoulders.

I immediately feel bad. Sometimes I forget how jumpy he is.

"Sorry, Darling." I murmur and gently place a kiss on his shoulder.

"I'm starving." he sighs exhausted.

"Well then come with me." I grin, releasing his waist and taking his hand.

He looks confused but hopeful as I lead him upstairs. I make sure to cover his eyes before entering our room, which earns a beautiful laugh from him.

"Ready?" I grin.

"Yes," he giggles.

"You sure?" I tease.

"Vic," he whines quietly.

I decide to not let my fiance starve to death, so I remove my hands from over his eyes.

His jaw immediately drops at the sight of our bedroom. His eyes travel along the trail of rose petals that lead to the bed. He gawks at the candles I've lit and most importantly at the plate of homemade pasta, his favorite, sitting on a tray on the bed.

He looks to me, his eyes glassy and just falls into my arms.

"I've had such a long day, and to come home to this, to you," he pauses and sighs. "thank you."

I kiss the top of his head and hold him tightly.

"Making you happy is my pleasure, love. Now hurry up and eat before you starve." I say, nudging him towards the bed.

He giggles and takes a seat on the bed. He looks down at the tray and laughs joyfully.

"I'm tortellini in love with you." he snorts, reading the note I had stuck to the tray. "You're so lame."

I chuckle and sit next to him on the bed.

He leans over and kisses my cheek.

"I'm tortellini in love with you too." he whispers.

Then he turns back to his pasta and begins eating.

I move around behind him and begin massaging his shoulders. They're full of knots and tension as usual. I wish he wasn't so stressed all the time.

"I've booked you in for a massage Tuesday morning, okay?" I tell him.

"Ah, you're the best." he whines.

"I could book you in for the doctor too, if you'd like." I suggest.

He sighs seeming a little frustrated as he puts his fork down. It makes a clink that echos through the tenseness of the now silent room.