Chapter Twelve

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Kellin asks softly, rubbing my shoulder as I brush my teeth.

"I'm sure, babe. You've got work and I'd prefer to go alone." I say through a mouthful of toothpaste.

I spit into the sink and rinse before kissing Kellin's cheek.

"Okay. But call if you need anything, yeah?" he requests sweetly and I nod.

I feel guilty because he's genuinely concerned and wants to support me, all because of a lie. I told him my uncle's wife had contacted me and asked me to help go through his belongings. She conveniently lives a few towns over, in the same town Carter now lives. I'm going to confront him today, but Kellin can't know that.

"Shower?" I suggest, desperately changing the subject.

"Sure." Kellin chirps.

I lean over to our shower and turn it on. I begin getting undressed and watch Kellin as he does the same.

"So you're not even going to be subtle about watching me undress now?" he grins teasingly.

"I've never watched you undress," I lie blushing furiously.

"My husband is a liar and a pervert." He snorts, now completely nude.

I'm left a little stunned and completely embarrased by his statement as he walks past me and gets into the shower.

"Babe, it's fine. How do you think I caught you looking?" he chuckles.

I then realize in order for Kellin to notice me checking him out, he too must have been looking too.

"Well, my husband is a hypocrite." I grumble, joining him in the shower.

He just grins and kisses my now-wet shoulder. Then we both stand under the shower-stream for a while until Kellin inevitably ends up in my arms. I'm enjoying just holding him and being close to him until he speaks, breaking the silence.

"You never talk about him." he says softly.

I'm confused. Does he mean Carter?

"Never talk about who?" I question.

"Your uncle, your tio." he says softly.

I feel a little sick at the mention of my uncle.

"Nothing to talk about." I say quickly, eager to avoid the subject.

"You were close, Vic. You saw him nearly every day. You spent a lot of time together. Losing him must have been hard and yet you rarely, if ever, express that." Kellin sighs.

"It was hard." I admit. "But nothing's going to bring him back. Just don't see the point in talking about it."

"It might make you feel better. I felt better after talking to you." he pushes.

"I'm fine, Kellin." I say sternly, desperately wanting this conversation to come to an end so I don't have to think about it anymore.

"Okay." he says softly.

I kiss his head a silent 'thank you' for caring about me then I get out of the shower. 

"I should head off but I'll see you later. I should be home before you get back from work." I say speedily drying myself so I can get dressed and get out of there.

"Okay, have a safe trip. I love you." he tells me.

"I love you too." I smile as I put my sweater on, then I go kiss him goodbye, getting a little wet as I do so, but it's totally worth it.