Chapter Seventeen

Vic

"Vic, baby,"

I feel myself being shaken awake as Kellin's soft voice eases me out of sleep.

As my eyes crack open, I notice the throbbing in my head and the dryness in my eyes and throat from crying myself to sleep. The phone call with Kylie screams through my mind and I pray to any god that will listen that it was all a horrible dream. But I know it wasn't.

"Babe," Kellin says louder to get my attention.

"Hmm?" I croak pushing myself from the arm of the sofa.

I hiss as I'm made aware of the ache in my neck.

"I came to save your neck but I think I'm too late." he chuckles sadly. "You're supposed to lay on the pillow, not hug it."

He grabs the pillow that I then realize is still in my arms and puts it behind my neck. He then situates himself where the pillow once was and I hold him tightly, needing the comfort he has always provided me.

"I miss sleeping next to you. Why don't you come to bed tonight? I don't know if I could go another night without you." he says softly.

I feel guilty for leaving him by himself.

"Yeah, okay, sorry." I apologize.

"It's okay." he whispers and kisses my lips. "It's okay to need time by yourself. I'm sorry for snapping last night."

"You have nothing to sorry about. You're perfect, okay?" I remind him.

He giggles and presses his lips back to mine.

The kiss starts off sweet but quickly goes somewhere else and for a second I'm into it. But as quick as the excitement came, it leaves. I feel tired and rundown, not at all in the mood to have sex with my husband, no matter how beautiful he looks in the morning.

His hands begin to push up my shirt so I take his wrists, stopping him.

"Don't you need to go to work?" I ask him, pulling away.

"Yeah, but I can be late." he purrs flirtatiously.

"Don't you need to open though?" I push.

"Someone else can do it." he chuckles before kissing me again, but I quickly push him back.

He looks at me confused so I avert my gaze to my hands that are still gently pressing against Kellin's chest.

"What's wrong?" he asks softly.

I sigh defeated and look back at him.

"I just don't feel like...right now. I'm sorry." I mumble guiltily.

Kellin frowns as he sits up.

"Oh." he whispers.

He goes quiet and looks to the wall. He swallows hard and wraps his arms around himself.

But eventually he looks back to me and nods.

"Yeah, of course. That's okay. I'm sorry, I should have picked up on that. Maybe later?" he suggests.

"Yeah, sounds good." I smile relieved that he doesn't hate me.

"You don't have to do that, you know?" he says suddenly.

"Do what?" I ask confused.

"Be subtle. You can just tell me. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do." he smiles sadly.

"Right, sorry. I just didn't want to hurt your feelings." I admit.

"Don't compromise your own comfort for my feelings. I'll be fine." he assures me.