Act I: Scene V

Hamlet sat down next to me and I glanced across the room at Horatio, who was already steadfastly not looking at me. This was not how I wanted things to go. Not that I wanted things to go anywhere with ANYONE here. This was a story. They're not real, I said to myself. Not real.

"Are you feeling better?" Hamlet asked, handing me the drink. Water. Good. I took a sip.

"Yes. Thank you, Your Highness," I murmured.

"I saw my uncle was bothering you," he said quietly. "I'm sorry."

I let out a slow breath. "Horatio saved me from him. It seems I owe him doubly," I said pointedly.

He laughed softly. "My mother must have told you that I saved you. She's... well she strays away from reality sometimes. But she's my mother, and I love her. Everyone does."

I nodded. "She seems like an interesting woman. A good queen." Not so much, really. She was going to marry her dead husband's brother, which would start Hamlet's spiral into madness, so I really didn't think she was the best queen. But hopefully I'd be able to stop that. Fingers crossed.

"She is. My father loves her a lot. Which you can't say about every king and queen." He looked wistful.

"Do you have anyone, Hamlet?" I asked, looking across the room at Ophelia. I felt the air near me stir as he shook his head.

"No. Not yet. She would have to be interesting, I think. So many girls are the same," he said. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I don't know why I even said that out loud."

I smiled. "Don't apologize. There's someone for everyone, I'm sure. You just haven't found her yet. Besides, I think you could say the same about men. So many of THEM are the same as well."

He nodded again, contemplating. "Like those two." He pointed toward where Ophelia stood. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. They care nothing about the women that they sleep with. It's all just a game to them. And Cristiana, the girl with them, she's the same."

"And what about her?" I asked, moving his finger just an inch to the left so that he was pointing at Ophelia. "Is she the same?"

He frowned, unsure. "I don't know her."

I smiled. Maybe I could at least set them up, to make up for him coming over here in the first place. "Her name is Ophelia. I met her today. She seems kind, and smart. And she's very beautiful."

Hamlet looked back at me, looking a bit unsure. "That wasn't exactly why I came over here, Corrine."

I sighed inwardly. "I know. But I really think you should get to know her. I don't... I'm not sure how long I'll be here and... well, I'm not exactly... well interested. Sorry."

He flushed. "Well don't spare my feelings. Let it all out." He smiled wryly when I chuckled.

"My father always said I couldn't keep my feelings to myself. But I don't really see why I should. Isn't it better to tell you I'm not interested than to play that game you seem to dislike so much?"

He nodded. "Well you've got me there. I guess I should have let Horatio bring you your drink."

I laughed. "Well if you ever need some honesty, you know where to find me. Or someone to kick your uncles ass."

He smirked and stood. "Thank you for your gracious offers. I'll let you know. You should really try dancing. I'm sure you'd be good at it."

"Horatio has offered to teach me," I replied. "I'd rather that lesson take place in private, so no one can see my humiliation."