Act IV: Scene I

It wasn't a very long journey to Norway, and I made it there without getting seasick even once. I was very grateful for that, since I had enough on my plate without being sick for the two days we were on the water. The lack of long goodbyes was another good thing about a short journey. We pulled up to the dock, and two sailors helped us get onto land, and then they left the few passengers to their business.

If I was going to continue being followed, the man I had seen would have a hard time finding me in this crazy port town. This was Oslo, and it was close to where I would find the prince. The harbor was a short distance from the castle. So I would have to find a place to stay until I heard from Horatio. Of course, I wasn't even sure how the letter would find me. I hoped Horatio knew what he was doing when he sent a letter, otherwise, Fortinbras would (hopefully) be coming to Denmark either way. Maybe finding a way to stay at the castle would, in fact, be my best bet. At least it would be easy for a messenger to find me there.

With that decided, I had to find a way to get into the castle, and a room to stay in. It seemed my luck was going to hold when the girl from the ship called out to me. "Miss?" I turned toward her and she smiled. "I was just wondering where you were headed. My brother was worried, a woman all on her own."

So I had been right. Up close, they both did indeed have blue eyes. "I was hoping to go up to the castle, find a place to stay there," I replied. I crossed my fingers and hoped that they were heading there as well. The man smiled at me. "So are we. We are cousins to the prince. Perhaps we can help you find a place." Oh was dear William Shakespeare re-writing Hamlet for me? The two other passengers from Denmark to Oslo, Norway just happened to be related to the guy I needed to talk to? Well, I did deserve some good luck, I supposed, after the chaos of Elsinore.

"Oh, I couldn't possibly ask you to do that." I murmured, because that was what was expected. Of course I could ask them to do that. I needed them right now. They very well might have been my salvation. There was no way the man Claudius had sent would be able to get to me in the heart of the Norwegian royal palace, and I would have a way to talk to Prince Fortinbras without even a little effort on my part, as well as a place to stay in case Horatio DID convince Claudius.

"Of course, you must come with us," the man said. The dress had done it. I was a damsel in distress, and no good man could resist trying to help. "My name is Kristian. This is my sister, Anette. We have a carriage waiting, please, join us."

I smiled demurely gave my name before going with them. Kristian helped me into their carriage. Oh this was much better than riding a horse to the castle, no matter the distance. We started moving, and Anette looked at me. "Is that all you have to wear?" she asked, looking at my dress. Well it wasn't the best one I have, and I hadn't yet put on my corset, so my boobs weren't just about popping out of them. Maybe fashion was different here? Anette was still wearing her simple dress.

I glanced at Kristian. Did men dislike corset talk? "I can't get my corset on by myself, so my dresses don't exactly fit right," I said to the other woman. Kristian looked away politely.

"I understand completely. Really, they should make dresses that will fit for travelling without a maid!" Anette exclaimed. I laughed. So far, I liked this woman. She seemed frank, and it was a welcome difference from the last several months.

"Yeah, they really should. Then we could dress ourselves," I replied. She grinned at me. Ah, a kindred spirit. At least I was lucky in my friends in this world.

"Once we get to the castle, a servant can help us before we go to be presented to Prince Fortinbras. You'll have to give your name and title to be announced." Oh boy. What would I even say?

"Right," I nodded. Would I tell them I was a lady from a Danish court? I knew from the play that there was a rivalry between the two houses. The elder king Hamlet had killed Prince Fortinbras's father, so that seemed like a bad idea. But, if he was a prince, and I was a lady, he shouldn't kill me right there, and I was travelling with his cousins. I had told myself that the truth was best, so I was ready to stick as close to it as I could, so that was how I would introduce myself. If 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', then it probably wouldn't change things all that much.