Act V: Scene IV

Fortinbras came later, and Kristian came in behind him, and the latter locked the door quickly. We stood and curtsied, or bowed, as fitted our gender. Kristian smiled at me, and I smiled back uncertainly. He could be on my side, but after so much thought, he could also be the reason I had been at the gallows in the first place. Kristian had a high place at court, he could have easily had access to Fortinbras' food, and he would know that the food would never actually reach his cousin. I had no real proof, and I didn't want it to be true, but no one could be trusted in this country, not anymore.

"Horatio," Fortinbras began without preamble. "You'll have your audience tomorrow. I can't appear to be on your side, or against you. I am meant to be for Norway, not a foreigner, and especially one that was almost hanged for trying to kill me," he said, looking at me quickly. I nodded. Of course not. He couldn't defend me any more than I was sure he already had.

Horatio nodded. "Thank you for getting me this chance, Your Highness."

"Fortinbras," I started. I ignored Horatio's warning glance. I had almost pushed the prince too far once, but I needed answers this time. "What did you tell them about me? How did I get out of being hanged in the first place? Before then, you hadn't even made any headway on my behalf, and I spent weeks in prison."

"I spoke on your behalf, Corrine," Kristian spoke up. "I told them you had been running when you left Denmark, and I told them they had no proof that you had done it, other than circumstances. It gave them pause, on the morning you were meant to be hanged. And if Horatio hadn't shown up after that, you would still have died. But he did. He's travelled here before, with Prince Hamlet, and he demanded you be released. He told them you had been the lover of the king, and they didn't want to anger Claudius."

I almost laughed. Claudius had sent me to my death, and it was being close to him that had saved my life. If he ever found out, I could just imagine his rage. Horatio really had saved me. And Kristian had also helped? Well at least he wasn't a villain. I really didn't need another. I felt my face go red. I really couldn't be left alone to think too much. I could make everyone into a bad guy. It was amazing I had lasted so long.

"Thank you," I said, looking at Kristian. "I didn't realize. Really, thank you." I reached for Horatio's hand. I didn't need to thank him. He knew, and if he had wanted thanks, he would have told me himself.

Kristian nodded. "Fortinbras and I convinced them to let Horatio talk to them about a war. I thought if we built it up as a big war, they would be more likely to accept what you're offering." I smiled. Horatio and I were offering them a country, hopefully without too much of a fight. Once Claudius was dead, and Hamlet gone, I knew Horatio could convince most of the nobles to let Fortinbras rule them, especially if he was ruling from another country. Their government would change, and it was possible that it could change in their favor. I didn't really care about all of the specifics, as long as Hamlet was alive. Things were starting to look like they might work, and I just couldn't believe it. After all of my months of pretending to love a man I hated and feared, and weeks of staying in a filthy dungeon, and two near death experiences and getting knocked out once, we were almost to the end.

"That's brilliant," I said. "Horatio is friends with many of the nobles. And the ones Claudius holds sway over will surely change their minds once he's dead. You'll only need to threaten to take their lands, and they'll bend the knee. Those ones care for nothing more than money. The biggest obstacle is getting to Claudius, and getting Hamlet and his mother out, and faking his death. You can leave that to me. You'll hardly have to do any of the work and you'll gain a country."

Anette watched our conversation in awe. I guessed Kristian really had left her out of everything. Oh well. Just because she was a woman, it didn't mean she couldn't be smart. It was time for women to have a bigger say in their lives, and it would start with them knowing more.

"Why does Hamlet have to be dead?" she asked quietly. "Why can't he just leave?" Maybe she did understand, if that was her first question. At least it was an easy one to answer.

"Because people, nobles and common people, can rally around him and rebel against their new king, if he's still alive. Norway gains nothing if they're given a nation that rebels as soon as Fortinbras leaves," I told her quietly. She nodded, and I saw the understanding in her eyes. I wanted to grin. It was a good start.

"So, all that's left is convincing your council?" Horatio asked. "And once that's done, we set sail? I don't know how long Hamlet is safe in Claudius's court." I agreed. Without Horatio to keep him safe, it was only a matter of time before Claudius decided to eliminate him.

Fortinbras nodded. "Yes. You already have one vote in Kristian. But the rest are up to you." The two of us nodded. "If we didn't get the votes, we would leave anyway, and find a new plan. I had no idea what it would be, but hoped we wouldn't need a backup plan.

"Alright then. I need to plan what I'm going to say," Horatio said. "Kristian, if you could find any allies in the council, I would appreciate the help," he said quietly. Kristian nodded, and I let out a relieved sigh. We really did need all the help we could get.

"Anette, come on, we need to go, let Horatio figure things out." Kristian ushered his sister out in front of him. I stopped Fortinbras on his way out.

"Your highness, I wanted to thank you. Again."

He smiled a little. "I wish I could help you even more, but I've done all I can." I nodded, and he left.

I sighed a second time, locking the door. I didn't turn away right away. Now I had one more decision to make. As things raced to a close, I would have to decide what to do about Horatio. I could tell him, I could stay, or I could disappear on him when this finished. Or... Or I could tell him, and let him help me decide what to do. The prospect terrified me, if I was being honest. What if he thought I was insane? I reached into my dress, and pulled out the piece of paper from my father's. Now was the time. There would be no better one. Horatio didn't need to plan his speech. He was born knowing what to say. But this... this needed to be said, and I had no choice but to tell him now, or not at all.

I turned around to face him, and took a steadying breath. This was it. My biggest secret. He could call me crazy, but he would still try to save his friend. So. Here went everything. "Horatio, before tomorrow, there is something I want to tell you."