16: Waiting

A/N: as usual, this is dedicated to my great friend and writing buddy, TheMagicMango. I hope you all enjoy.

···

Hinami ducked her head back into her door and looked to Ayato briefly. "Keep him occupied for a moment." She said, her eyes flicking to the door in a gesture.
The Ukaku Ghoul nodded and did as he was told, not questioning the young woman as she strode swiftly to her bedroom.

He decided on opening up a conversation about: "Why the fuck do you like reading so much?"
Kaneki took the bait immediately and launched on a rant about his favourite books.

Hinami removed an object from the top of her closet, then turned away with a sense of purpose about her actions.
She darted out and smiled broadly before joining the two males with sparkling eyes.

Kaneki didn't seem to notice the movement as she swiftly tucked a letter beneath her cardigan, as he was still chatting it up with Ayato about the violence depicted in a specific novel he enjoyed.

···

When they got to the upper levels, she finally handed the envelope over to Ken.

"...I want you to know that he thought of every single possible outcome." She whispered, then gave a bow before leaving him to read in silence.

Confused, Kaneki arched a brow at her, but Hinami had already opened up a conversation of her own with Ayato.
He chose not to interrupt, turning to the parchment that he held. The gasp that left him couldn't be held back as he read the title:

For if/when I Return.

···

Dear Kaneki,

Sorry if the paper has gotten a bit wet. I'm writing this above ground for once, because I had the impulse to suddenly address my thoughts to you again before my departure. At the moment it's raining, which is why I came out in the first place.

I'm going to enclose a small rant here as well, to perhaps explain further why the hell I'm standing outside in the rain writing to you.

Since you love literature so much, I'm sure you know what my first name means. "Shuu," in the Katakana that was chosen means intelligence and study, however the word alone is in reference to a sudden rain shower. You know this, surely.

I was born in March, as you're also aware... such showers are frequent during that time of year.

Whenever I was welcomed into this world, according to father, the rain had started abruptly. It was beautiful, and immediately resulted in a clear, wide-arced rainbow over the estate's garden soon after.

So, Papa and Mother named me "Shuu" in memorial of that amazing event.

Naturally, I've always loved the rain.
It cleanses and nourishes the world, giving life to everything we see. This is what makes Earth unique, after all.

The presence of water, naturally occurring in all three physical states of matter. (Excluding plasma, seeing as that is only present in stars and the like.)

When it comes to uniqueness, I am always intrigued. Hence my initial infatuation- ah... well, to be completely frank it was more of an... obsession, rather...
My initial obsession with you was brought on by the craving I have to possess and experience unique things.