Chapter 10 // Family

Kara stood ready, she had opened the door and was waiting for the elevator to arrive upstairs. She just had to wait for whoever was trying to kill them to make a mistake. Suddenly she felt a presence nearby so she hissed "Stay back."

"No-I- We're not leaving. What is happening?"

"Somebody is coming."

"But- That can't. Only you and I can do that."

Kara didn't look to Lena as she said "Well it appears that they are coming up. And it isn't Alex. No- There are three of them and they are completely silent," Kara had only a couple seconds left so she asked "Go to a safe room." 

"Okay." And with that Kara heard rushed footsteps and knew Lena was gone. Kara took one last deep breath and slowly started to see red. She heard the cocking of a gun so she hoped they weren't prepared for her. 

The bell dinged and the door opened. Kara almost gulped her saliva down, in front of her stood Lillian Luthor with Cyborg Superman and just some henchman. Kara took a step back and readied herself for whatever was to come. And it came, she took a hit. Not by Cyborg Superman but Lillian Luthor who lifted a gun and shot her in the abdomen. But she didn't care, she just shoot lasers out of her eyes. 

She hit the henchman, he fell to the ground. She moved to Lillian, but Cyborg Superman stepped in the way, step by step he walked closer while Kara waited, not wanting to deplete her powers. Cyborg Superman was about five feet from her Kara when time seemed to slow down. Kara suddenly felt bad. She grabbed to her lower abdomen and slowly fell to the ground, she felt weak. Too- weak. 

On her knees she looked up to Cyborg Superman who grabbed her and pulled her along to some wall. She punched through the wall and with that Kara heard it, Lena and the children were behind it. Since Hank Henshaw had let go of her Kara used all the strength she had left and stood up. She punched him, making him fly through the sky against the glass wall at the end of the hall. 

When Kara stared at him she felt and heard it... three gunshots. She looked down and saw blood pouring out of her. She fell to her knees, it was a bit dramatic but she tried to stand up the whole time she fell. She fell forward as the world turned dark. She knew she had to stay awake but everything was just wrong. Her whole body hurt so much, so she gave up.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kara slowly opened her eyes, she tried to cough because it felt like she had never breathed normally, but she couldn't some tube was down her throat. So she quickly looked around in panic. She saw nobody, literally nobody. So she moved her hands and slowly tried to take the thing out of her when the door opened. "Kara no!"

Kara looked up and saw Alex standing there in full tactical gear, blood on her clothes. Kara stopped what she was doing and put her hands down. She couldn't speak so she stayed silent. "Okay- Uh, I will take that thing out shortly, understood?" Kara nodded, she winced in pain. But she was lucky probably since she laid under the sunlamps, otherwise this might have been way worse. 

"So, I-I am going to get Lena in a minute. But- You- just relax okay?" Kara nodded again for some reason Alex was nervous and upset. Well, it can be because Kara laid on the sunbed. But- Kara couldn't remember what happened, the last thing she remembered was sitting in the living room with Lena and the children.

Alex hesitantly walked closer, which made Kara tilt her head a little. She was absolutely confused. "Do you remember what happened?" Kara shook her head "Okay," A sigh "You- Got shot multiple times. If it wasn't for Connor developing his powers at that time you would have died. He- He hurt Lillian quite a lot. But- You are alive. That's what matters." There is some hidden message behind those words, something left unsaid so Kara made the continue movement and so Alex said "You died six times on the operations table. We- We didn't expect for you to come back-" Kara tried to gulp her saliva down but it only ended in her coughing hysterically.

Alex rushed over and pulled the tube out of Kara, making her able to breathe normally again. Kara's first breaths were a bit too rushed but after a minute or two she calmed down. She tried to talk but nothing came out. Alex nodded and said "I'm sorry for that- your voice will return some time later. I-I'm going to get Lena, okay?" Kara nodded again, she did want to see Lena. Hopefully her wife was good, and not harmed like she was.

About three minutes later, Kara counted the time, the door flew open and in came a dishevelled looking Lena, she clearly hadn't taken care of herself for some time. Before Kara could do anything Lena flew in Kara's arms. So Kara did the only thing that was smart, she put her hands around her wife and rubbed Lena's back. Since the woman was sobbing soundly. 

Kara sighed and placed a kiss on Lena's head, she would have spoken if she could- But she hoped this was enough for Lena, just her being awake. Some time later Lena let go and sat down on the chair beside Kara's bed. "You-I thought I lost you," Kara shook her head and smiled "Yes, clearly you aren't easily killed..." Kara chuckled and stroked Lena's head. 

Maybe today was a bad day, but tomorrow- Tomorrow Kara could go back to being Lena's wife and the mother of the children. She could go back to everything that mattered to her. And she absolutely would, because nobody messed with Kara Zor-El's family.

A/N I finished! And I even did something new, so I made an Instagram account named SupercorpMcGrath, it's easier to choose a new story that way since you can all vote and stuff. I hope to see you there!