Broken Tether (1)

This is an Ushijima x Reader soulmate au. This will be the "red string of fate" (Real original, I know)
Also idk if people can see your soul mate string like you can, but in this other's can. Just wait and see bc some serious shit is about to go down and some even more serious stuff will follow~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     The string has always been with you. It bring you sense of security. It keeps you going through the tribulations of life. Through thick and thin, the red strand of faith has been with you. Tethered to your ring finger on your left hand, no matter what happened.

     Until today. You awoke drenched in sweat, breathing heavily. The only source of light in the room was your alarm clock that was to your right, on the nightstand. The bright red numbers read "2:46am". You tossed the thick comforter off of your soaked body. You relaxed as the cool air of your bedroom hit your overheated body.

     Your body felt heavy; You could hardly move. You were quivering on the spot. You examined your surroundings, pleased to find you were still in your room. A sigh escaped your lips as you relaxed.

     You sat there in silence, unmoving, while deep in thought. You picked up the phone and called your soulmate, Ushijima Wakatoshi. To your surprise, he picked up. Considering the time, you'd only hoped he would pick up.

     "Yes, (Y/n)?", he asked. You paused a moment before responding. "W-wakatoshi?", you stuttered out, "something's wrong. I can't place it."

     He answered plainly, "Nothing's wrong, I'm sure you just had a bad dream." He normally tried to comfort you when you had nightmares. You would tell him how the dream went and he would say words of comfort until you fell asleep.

     Oddly enough, tonight you couldn't remember your dream. You just ignored this fact. 'It isn't that big a deal. I'll remember it later.' You sighed and said goodbye to him over the phone.

     You layed in bed for the rest of the night, unable to sleep. There was a small itching feeling in the back of your head. That little feeling trying to tell you 'something is wrong'.

     For the rest of the night until the sun rose, you tried to figure it out. You quickly got ready for school and ran to the corner where you and Ushijima meet so you can walk to Shiratorizawa together.

     You stood at the corner for a moment in confusion. 'He's late...', you thought to yourself. You wrung your hands together and sighed. 'I've gotta go or else I will be late.' You reluctantly began walking to the school alone.

     You walked into the classroom unnoticed and sat at your seat in the far back. Ushijima soon entered the room and took his seat next to you.

     That's how it had always been. You and him since childhood. Your mother's had been friends for years when the both if you were born.

     Your early bond allowed you to find your soul mate. Soon after you were brought into the world, your mother's decided to set up a small get together for you.

     The moment they pulled into your driveway, the red string on Ushijima's finger began to glow a fiery red. His mother took quick notice and rushed him inside towards you. Once you came into contact with him, the strings shine never faded.

     You soon noticed that this morning, the string wasn't a vibrant red. This concerned you mildly y as it bad always glowed, no matter how far from each other you were.

     You turned to Ushijima and said, "Wakatoshi, our string isn't as bright as usual...I think something is off."
He just shrugged and didn't respond. You clenched your fist at his response.

     He didn't pay you any attentions and just went over his notes. You exhaled and unclenched your fist before saying anything, not wanting to become annoying.

     He turned to tell you something but sighed when he saw you had your head down in your desk. "(Y/n), what's wrong?", he asked. You merely shook your head and didn't speak. He reached out his hand and placed it gently in your elbow, causing you to flinch.

     He froze for a moment when you flinched. Never- not once in all your lives- had you flinched when he touched you.

     His tone softened, "(Y/n), is something the matter?"

     You hesitated to answer. Then you let a muffled "yes" out if your throat. He nodded, "What is it?", he asked innocently. You lifted your head and made direct eye contact with him.

     "I've been trying to tell you something was wrong, but you've just brushed me off.", you stated with a hint of anger in your voice.

     He kept his hand on your elbow, unwavering as always. He nodded in understanding. "What is it, (Y/n)?"

     You sighed then spoke. "The string. It's not bright. It's glow is weaker, Ushijima. That's not good.", you said sadly. He looked down at the cord and tensed a bit. Why hadn't he noticed it before? What does this mean?

     He looked up at you and softly sighed. "I'm afraid I know why this has happened. The reason why is my fault.", he said openly. You tilted your head slightly, confused. "What do you mean?", you asked, sceptical.

     You had a sinking feeling. Worse than how you had felt after waking up from the nightmare.

     He shook his head sadly and spoke quietly, only for you to hear:"I don't love you anymore, (Y/n)."

     You felt your world shatter at his words. Your eyes widened and teared up. You quickly wiped the tears so no one could see. You quickly stood up and ran from the classroom, and through the halls of the massive building.

     He didn't chase after you. He just watched on as the beautiful tether that kept your world from crumbling, faded to nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is more like a back story with more to come. Just wait and see. More serious stuff is on its way. I'm surprised how long I lrocrastinaed in making this chapter.
Have a nice day.
Word count: 1,036