Petals

This is an Iwaizumi x Genderless Reader. This chapter will focus on the popular disease known as 'Hanahaki'. The hanahaki disease is formed from one-sided love. There is a correctional surgery one can get to fix the disease. The cost of the surgery-losing all feeling you had towards the person who caused you to contract the disease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Another day of the week spent coughing up the dreaded, silky corolla. The purple things continued to make their way up through your throat. You hacked them out for hours.

     It seemed that every few minutes, a new bunch needed to be freed. No matter how much water you drank, the burning in your throat refused to cease.

     You heard your phone ring for the 12th time today. For the twelfth, you didn't pick up. Your body was too weak from the effort it took to rid itself of the petals.  Due to the pain the flowers brought, you were bedridden. Constant muscle cramps forced themselves upon your body.

     Your mother brought up another glass of water in hopes of calming your searing throat. You slowly reached your arm over to your left so as to get a sip of water. Right then, another series of coughs wracked your body. Your mother quickly dropped to the side of your bed. Her eyes were pleading.

     A tear ran down her face. "Please..please get the procedure,(Y/n)!", she begged. You only shook your head; You refused to get the procedure if it meant losing your feelings for him. You'd never felt that way. In this world, love is a double-edged sword.

     Your mother hugged you gently, so as not to hurt your already pain-filled body. Her face tear-stained, he kissed your forehead and left. You could hear her heart wrenching sobs from the next room over. You instinctively reached your hand to your chest, and gripped your shirt where your heart is. A tear slid a thin trail down your cheek as you heard her muffled cries.

     You reached your shaky hand over to the container of painkillers on your nightstand. After weakly opening the bottle, you shook a few into your hand. The bottle then fell to the floor and the pills scattered. Ignoring the mess, you grabbed the glass of water and took a sip. You then swallowed the pills in your hand.

     Your body tensed as another wave of coughing went through your body. Once it passed, you tried to relax on your bed. The medicine began to kick in and you managed to fall asleep. Your mother walked into the room and covered you with a blanket. She kissed your cheek and quickly picked up the mess of pills. She then left the room.

~timeskip to the next morning~

     You woke up because of another round of coughs. Looking at the alarm clock, you saw that it was time to get ready for the day ahead. Bit by bit, you crawled out of the bed. Once you finished getting dressed, you took more painkillers. After gathering your things, you made your way to school.

     After you had missed a few days, Iwaizumi had become worried. He'd called you several times and each time you didn't pick up. Every time you missed a call, he became even more distraught. He never let it show. Despite the facade he kept up, Oikawa knew something was off.

     "Iwa-chan~", Oikawa called. He threw his arms onto Iwa's shoulders. In typical fashion, Iwaizumi hit him. Oikawa fake cried for a moment but then stopped; He looked at Iwaizumi seriously, "Considering how much they've been absent lately, I know you're worried. The fact that your plays are off is a dead giveaway."

     He looked at the brown haired male and sighed, then shoved his hands into his pockets. "How can I not be? They haven't been answering any of my calls or text messages." Oikawa nudged him and looked at the entrance to the school grounds. You made your way onto the property slowly, to avoid bringing any attention to yourself. That didn't stop Iwaizumi from quickening his pace to get beside you.