Chapter Five

"Any luck finding a place?" Lucia questioned as they sat around the dining table.

Lennox shook her head, "No, they're all out of my price range. If by chance I can afford it, I would be left with even less than I have now after rent and bills," she sighed, picking at the placemat. "There's no way I'm going to be able to find a place by tomorrow."

"You know, Lennox, we really mean it. You're always welcome to stay here with us," Lucia said, her eyes filled with genuine concern, and Maria nodded in heartfelt agreement.

"Mom and I can go back to sharing a room, and you can stay in the other with the boys," Maria said. "It's small, but you won't be out on the streets or in a town you don't know."

"I can't put either of you out of your room. I know you want to help, but I don't want to burden you with taking me and my kids in again," Lennox explained, feeling guilty she was turning down their help, but she couldn't make the small apartment even smaller by adding three more people.

"Where are you going to go then? With that, Tig guy Maria said? He's your father, but you don't know anything about him. What if it's just a name coincidence, and he isn't even your father?" Lucia questioned, trying to stay calm, but Lennox's stubbornness wore her patience thin.

"It's not just you anymore. It would be best to think about your kids and how your decisions affect them. Put your stubbornness and pride aside and accept our help. You basically live here anyways," she pointed out, looking at the blonde who refused to meet her eyes. "Ay dios mio, Lennox. We all know you can't raise those kids on your own."

"Mom," Maria warned, looking between the two women sitting across from each other and glancing toward the living room where the boys were. Making sure they weren't aware of the argument at the table.

"Maybe if you contacted Gavin's dad, he could help you financially," Lucia suggested.

"No," Lennox said, shaking her head. "I'm not asking him for anything. I left because he wasn't cut out to be a family man. I don't need his help, and he sure as hell isn't going to give it willingly. The last thing I want or need is a court battle because he wants to invoke his rights."

"Well, if you won't accept the help offered. What are you going to do? Live on the streets or some shelter while you get on your feet and save for your place? Who knows how long that will be since you don't make enough money as it is, and you really can't afford to get another shitty job," Lucia argued.

"Mom," Maria warned, looking at her mother and Lennox. "I think it's better if we all just cool off and not say anymore because you're both starting to get heated, and this won't end well."

"You're right," Lennox agreed without looking away from Lucia. "I'm going to be late for my shift at the diner, and I can't afford to get fired and have to look for another shitty job like your mom said. After all, I'm already doing a shitty job at being a mother."

She stood up and left the dining table before kissing her boys and taking her leave.

Closing the gate behind her, she knew that Lucia's words weren't malicious. Lucia said that, so she would accept their offer, but she couldn't do it. Maybe she was too prideful and stubborn, but she had managed just fine raising her kids so far.

She was trying her hardest to do right by both of them. It just wasn't easy when it came to raising two kids on a single income.

 It just wasn't easy when it came to raising two kids on a single income