Chapter Twelve

Lennox was exhausted as she walked into the house. Work had been hectic again, and the walk home hadn't helped. The only bright side was that the weather was nice, and she was finally done with her day and would be able to rest. 

The house was quiet as if no one was home, which would have made her nervous if she hadn't heard the faint yells coming from her boys and her father's laughter. Knowing they must have been in the backyard, she took a quick shower before making dinner.

~*~*~

Lennox turned from the stove to continue making the salad and froze at the sight in front of her. 

"What is that?" She questioned, trying to remain calm.

Her boys, who were talking excitedly, froze, staring at her wide-eyed as she glanced between them and the dog. 

"That's Rocky, and he's a dog," Christopher slowly answered, glancing at his little brother.

"I know it's a dog, Christopher, but what is it doing here in my house?" she looked at her boys, narrowing her eyes as she placed her hands on her hips. "Did you boys con your grandfather into getting a dog?"

"You said it was Grandpa's house, and we're just living in it," Christopher pointed out while both boys ignored the question.

"Now's not the time to be a smart ass, Christopher," Lennox said in frustration.

"What's a smart ass?" Gavin innocently asked.

Lennox sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose, "Just answer the question, boys. Did you go behind my back and get a dog? Even though I told you that you couldn't get one."

"Technically, we didn't go behind your back," Christopher shrugged, while Gavin nodded. "We asked you, and you said it was Grandpa's house. So we asked him, and he asked you."

"You said yes, mama," Gavin pointed out.

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did," Christopher pointed his finger at her. "He called you and sent a message. We saw it. That's why we have Rocky."

Lennox quickly grabbed her phone and read through her messages before groaning, seeing the proof. Unfortunately, the reply she gave her father was meant for Gemma.

"Too late to take him back," Christopher quickly stated. "Grandpa said we couldn't go back on it."

The following day, Lennox walked into the kitchen and paused, taking in the house's new norm

The following day, Lennox walked into the kitchen and paused, taking in the house's new norm. Rocky, the Rottweiler her boys and father adopted, was drinking from his water bowl but stopped as soon as she entered the kitchen. 

Lennox shook her head, breaking eye contact. From what had turned into a staring contest with a dog. Before stepping around, the dog, whose eyes tracked her movements as she moved around the kitchen to get breakfast ready.