Chapter 1 Part 1

(I'm using the app, so sorry in advance if the formatting isn't the best, I will try and find it later from the computer.)

“Alice,” the large woman in front of me, most likely someone my father was trying to bid me off to, hummed thoughtfully, “What a beautiful name.”

    “For a girl, maybe.” I crossed my arms.

    “Well,” she smiled to cover up her discomfort, “What about your brother? He seems to be a fine young man, hm?”

    “What did you come here for, Miss? Can’t get anyone to stay so you’re looking at me? The unwanted? Orphans?”

    The ugly old biddy stood, “I must be off now!”

    “Be sure not to run too quickly or you may roll and never stop.” I called after her as she fled the room. I laughed when I heard her make a noise of severe dissatisfaction.

    As I left the room I heard footsteps sharply clicking against the hard flooring, fast-paced and ebbed with anxiety, as always.

    “Why if it isn’t the welcoming committee!” I threw over my shoulder.

    I could tell he was frowning by the tone of his voice, “Alice, what has Father told you about speaking that way with the guests?”

    “And haven’t I told you how much I don’t care?” I countered as I hopped up to sit in the nearby windowsill.

    My brother, William, shook his head at me, “Why can’t you at least try? Please?”

    “I will try when I am treated decently.” I muttered, “And when I don’t have to wear these silly dresses when people come over! Why are you even still trying with me?”

    “Because I love you.” his eyebrows furrowed together, as though not understanding how I did not know this. “You are my brother above all else.”

    “You sure don’t act like it!” I yelled as I pushed past him, hearing his glasses fall from his face and hit the floor.

    I heard him running after me and I decidedly jumped out the window, thinking it would not be so bad being only the ground level floor, but I still somehow sprained my ankle.

    “Alice?” William leaned out the window, a slight red bump rising on his cheek where I had struck him. “Are you hurt? Stay where you are! I’ll be out to help!”

He left the window’s side to go out the door and I struggled to my feet, wincing as I rushed to the garden.

“Alice!” I heard William shouting my name from where I had jumped out the window.

“Alice,” a new voice spoke up and I started upon seeing a rush of white fly into a nearby bush, “Alice, follow me.”

I swallowed hard.

“Alice!” William’s voice was growing closer.

I brushed aside the leaves and branches to find a seemingly bottomless pit.

“Alice!”

I took a deep breath and let myself fall into the hole.

When I blinked open my eyes I found that I was in a bed with silky sheets and soft blankets and pillows. It felt nice and I curled into the comfiest position I could, but my ankle began to ache.

“It wasn’t a dream?” I sat up and pulled away the blankets to find my ankle had been bandaged. “Where is this place?”

“Alice,” I looked over to find a man had entered the room. He looked to be William’s age with neatly cut black hair and bright red eyes, a heart tattoo just below the left. “How are you feeling?”

“Alright, thank you.” I glanced over him, getting a feeling I knew him from somewhere.

He seemed to be keeping his distance from me for whatever reason, but kept eyeing me, “Are you hungry?”

“N-not particularly.” I felt out of place somehow. I did not like this. Normally I was the one making people feel uncomfortable, but this man was successfully doing so to me and I doubted he was even aware.

There was a long silence while I watched the stranger go sit at the side of the bed. He stared at me expectantly until finally I sighed and went to sit beside him.

“You probably don’t remember me.” he said at last, taking my hand with a small smile, “But when we were younger you would come to visit. I remember we always met beneath that tree that had white leaves that stretched almost to the ground.”

“That was you?” I stared at him and could almost see it, though the kid I had sometimes played with had longer, messier hair and was somewhat of a crybaby. Not to mention that kid wore rags and this man wore clothes meant for the rich and elite.

“Do I really look that different?” I nodded my head and he laughed, “You look different too. You were wearing a dress when you arrived. I… I don’t mean to pry, but…” he gave me a worried look.

“Oh.” I had barely noticed I was in light blue pajamas, “It was my father.”

He nodded knowingly, “Well, there is plenty of clothes that may fit you here, so if you feel the need to change at any time just tell me, okay?”

I, again, nodded, “Your name is Rouge, isn’t it?”

His face lit up, “Yes, it is! I’m glad you remembered!”

I couldn’t help but laugh a little, “You’re so odd, you know.”

“Why?” he furrowed his brow in a questioning glance.

“I don’t know. You’re just… different.” he appeared to not know how to take this, but smiled when I added, “I mean it in a good way, of course.” there was a pause, “Where are we?”

“The Red Castle.” he noticed my confused look and explained, “It is the kingdom of which I rule; the Kingdom of Red.”

“I didn’t know you were royalty.” I commented, “Have you always been?”

“Not necessarily.” Rouge frowned, “It’s a rather long story.”

I didn’t press further and decided to change the subject, “How have you been getting along all these years? I haven’t really seen you since a long time ago.”

“It’s been kind of hard, but everything was worth it in the end.” Rouge rose to his feet, “Want to take a walk with me?”

“Sure.” I looked down, “Oh, umm…”

He laughed, “It’s fine to ask for a change of clothes, you know!”

“Is it really fine?”

Rouge ruffled my hair, “Of course! I know the perfect outfit!”

I was unsure of whether I should be frightened or not, but when Rouge returned from the other room I was pleasantly surprised to see the clothing he held out to me was a cream colored long-sleeve shirt, red vest with a heart on the breast, and matching cream pants.

“Thank you.” I mumbled.

“Mm-hm.” he stared at me expectantly.

Well, I suppose it doesn’t matter anyhow! We are both male… Maybe that’s why he’s still here! It must be pretty normal for men to strip without thinking about it in this place! I decided and pulled off my shirt to find that he was still staring, though now he was looking me up and down, eyes resting at the waistline of my pajama bottoms. I huffed and turned around to strip and put on the clothes he had handed me.

“Ta-dah!” I announced, throwing my arms out on either side to show Rouge.

Rouge grinned and reached out to fix my collar, “You look nice, Alice.”

“Thank you.” I smiled back.

“Now, come on.” he took me by the hand and led me out the door.