Chapter 1 Part 2

(Another mention, I have most of this already written up and very close to finished, I've just never published it anywhere lol)
~    ~    ~ (William)

“It seems to be a slash across her chest…” a voice said and then sighed, “At least she’s alive. She bled a lot, too.”

I opened my eyes with a groan, my vision blurry, and I saw a man bending over me, a worried look on his face. He had long black hair that fell down over me and tickled my nose. “Oh. Who… are you?” I croaked.

“Don’t strain yourself.” he scolded lightly, “You’ve been seriously injured, you know. I’m Jab, by the way. Are you feeling alright?”

“My chest hurts.” I grimaced, “I’m William.”

“Oh, you’re a boy?” his eyebrows scrunched up as he got a better look at me, “I’m very sorry. I…”

“It’s fine.” I dismissed it instantly. “Ugh, I feel horrible.”

“Rest up and you’ll be fine in no time!” Jab gave me a half-hearted smile as he pat my leg, most likely afraid any type of touch on my upper body would result in crippling pain.

“Wait!” I sat up quickly, “Alice! Where is my brother?!”

“Lay down!” he forced me back, which did not take much effort, honestly. “You’ll be no use to your brother in this state, idiot!”

I looked away, “I know that, but… if I’m in this sort of state then he may be dead!”

“Well, you have to heal a bit, okay?” he said gently, “I would feel bad if you up and died, William. I’m sure your brother would too.

I’m not too sure about that…

“What’s wrong?” he frowned, “Perk up! If it makes you feel any better, I’ll go out and look for him, alright? Now, what does he look like?”

~    ~    ~

“Are you sure you can walk?” Jab asked, giving me a look.

“Yes, I’m fine.” I said, yet I was still hanging off his arm, afraid I may fall over.

He had not found Alice the night before and I had insisted upon going to find him, but Jab said he would only let me go if he came with me. I consented. He had said that he asked around and apparently Alice was at a castle of some sort.

The woods were deep and dark. The signs out front of Jab’s humble abode said horrible things “Monster”, “BEWARE”, and things of the sort, as well as something about a thing called a ‘Jabberwock’, whatever that was.

We had made it a good distance into the woods-- “Tulgey”, Jab had said-- when someone whistled suggestively.

“Well, what do we have here, hm?” a man appeared out of thin air in front of us-- purple hair, pink eyes, and matching cat ears and a tail that flicked in amusement-- “Oh, Alice’s big brother!”

“Alice? You know Alice?” I almost fell out of Jab’s grip.

“I’ve seen him. That king has him holed up in his walls.” he made a face before breaking into another grin, “Oh, I’m Chess, by the way!” he stuck out his hand to me.

I almost flinched before shaking it, “William.”

“I can help you get to your brother!” he announced.

Jab’s grip on me tightened ever-so-slightly, but just enough that I looked over to him in worry. He shook his head at me.

“What other choice do we have?” I whispered.

He grimaced, “Okay…”

“Lead away.” I waved a hand at the cat man.

Chess frowned, as though being shooed away, but then laughed, “Alrighty then! Tally-ho!”

Chess was a very big talker and acted very familiar with us. He was not so much annoying as he was exhausting and I could tell Jab was growing tired as well.

“Do you want to rest?” I asked. “You look worn out.”

“You too.” he smiled wearily. “Okay, come on.”

I shut my eyes tight in pain as he gently helped me to lean against a tree and he sat beside me while Chess clumsily plopped down beside me, giving me an apologetic look when I gasped, a rush of tortuous feelings going through me.

“Are you alright?” Jab touched a hand to my shoulder, blinking in surprise when I leaned against him, my breathing ragged from the strenuous effort inside me. “William?”

“Just be my pillow for a bit, please?” I managed to ask in a quiet voice.

Jab put a hand on the opposite side of my head and pulled me toward him a bit more, hugging me slightly, “You can take a nap if you’d like.”

“You’re sweet, but… I’m fine. You’re just comfy.” I murmured, wrapping my arms round his waist and closing my eyes. “Maybe I will take a nap.”

I fell asleep to the feeling of warm hands playing with my hair.