Chapter 3 Part 1

~.                    ~. ~ (William)

On the other side of the door was an immense row of hedges. A maze?

“You can set me down, Jab.” I said.

“Yeah, maybe we should rest a bit.”

We settled into a random spot in the grass.

I let my head fall against Jab’s shoulder and we both remained quiet.

“Jab, why is it you're so sure you'll hurt me?” I finally asked.

Jab paused, “I didn’t always live in the forest.” he began, “Something happened. I became strange at times… I was shunned from the community because I had hurt other people. I didn’t know I was doing it! But…”

His voice quivered and his body shook. He froze when I took his hand, “I know it wasn’t you, Jab.”

“But it was! That’s what scares me!” he sobbed, “I’m not in control of what I’m doing at all! Although I hadn’t really been extremely close with many people before all this… it still was agonizing to know I had hurt them. So I can’t imagine if I did anything to you how that would feel.”

My grip tightened slightly, “I know how you feel. My brother, it seems like no matter what I do I end up hurting him, so… I guess I can see where you're coming from,” I stared directly into his eyes, “but you're the one who found me and took care of me, so I'm sticking with you, okay?”

He clenched his jaw and quickly nodded.

“I think we've rested long enough.”

“Right.”

As we walked Jab continued to let me lean on him, “Are you still pretty sore?”

“A bit.” I mumbled. I was walking better now, but it was reassuring having Jab there for me. “But uh haven't we passed this area before? That flower there from before…”

Jab was quiet a moment, “If I boost you up would you be able to see over the hedge rows?”

“Like on your shoulders? Won't that be uncomfortable?”

“Don't worry, you're pretty light, William.” Jab wrapped his arms round my waist, “Ready? Here we go!”

I let out a yelp as I was lifted over Jab's head and I was able to see over the rows of foliage, “This garden is huge.” I gulped. “We’re not even close to the castle.”

Jab carefully lowered me down to the ground again, “So it was in that direction, right?”

I nodded, “Um, Jab, I’ve wanted to ask, but where in the country are we? I mean, I’ve never really heard of other countries beneath other ones before. Or are we still underground…?”

“It’s more like… the hole you went down leads to another world entirely.” Jab responded, “But that’s all I’ll say about that.”

I frowned, “Oh, uh, okay.”

“We should get moving again.”