Chapter 2 Part 2

~    ~    ~ (William)

“Almost there, just keep going!” Chess pumped his fists into the air excitedly.

I was leaning heavily into Jab, rasping with each step, but despite him asking me to stop to catch my breath I insisted in continuing on.

“William, I’m worried you may keel over!” Jab announced, “Please!”

“He says we’re almost there.” I replied, “We can rest then.”

Jab sighed, “Alright…”

“Careful not to get him in too bad of a mood, Will!” Chess called over his shoulder, “Quite the temper, that one!”

“Quiet, Cat!” Jab barked.

I gave Jab a look, “Are you alright?” He didn’t seem like the type to yell at others.

“I’m fine.” he grumbled.

“Have you seen his other side yet?” Chess was obviously picking at a wound he should not be. “Ooh, he’s so violent!”

“Shut up!” a bright light enveloped Jab and his hair became white in coloring, eyes red, and teeth seemingly ground down to fangs. “I’ve had enough of you!” he went to move, but I cried out at almost having tipped over and ‘Jab’ looked to me worriedly, holding me close. He began to sort of look me up and down, as if just meeting me.

“J-Jab?” I stammered.

“I’m not Jab.” he announced, grinning in a way that made me feel chills run down my spine. “I don’t really have a name, so just know that I’m Jab’s… sexier double.” he gripped my chin and pulled me forward into a kiss, snickering at the look on my face. “Cute.”

“What was that?” I demanded angrily.

“I know he’ll be upset about that later on.” he laughed. “And you must be pretty stupid. It’s called a kiss.”

Chess appeared to be a little uncomfortable, which made me feel a whole lot more unsettled.

“But why did you--”

“Stop asking stupid questions.” he squeezed my cheeks hard enough to cause me to scream at which point he stopped, frowning.

“Let go of me.” I squirmed a bit in his grasp. “It hurts.”

His eyes widened and his hair became darker, eyes back to normal. “W-William…”

“Jab?” I questioned.

He set me down carefully and began to back away. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to… to... “ he shook his head.

“Jab!” he appeared shocked when I reached a hand out to him, “Please, help me up. I’m not going anywhere without you, I hope you realize.”

Jab shook his head once more, but hesitated in moving, “I-I can’t!”

“Jab, please!”

Chess seemed to be watching us curiously, but had a disdainful frown on his face. “We need to hurry.”

“Alright, I get it…” Jab scooped me up bridal style, bearing in mind my wound, and sighed, “I’m really sorry.”

“You didn’t-- It’s fine, really.” I insisted.

Jab remained silent as we continued at a brisker pace than before. Chess trailed behind us by a few feet, tail between his legs and cat ears folded against his head.

“Is it much longer?” I asked, breaking the silence.

“There,” Chess pointed to a doorknob sticking out from a tree.

I blinked, “It's just a doorknob though?”

“No, no, it's the secret entrance to the King’s garden!” Chess replied, “So you two, hurry up and go!”

Jab didn't move.

“Jab?” When I looked up at him I saw him staring seriously into the distance, thinking. “Are you okay, Jab?”

“It might not be safe for me to go with you…” he mumbled. His eyebrows furrowed. “You're a nice person, so I don't want to end up hurting you…”

“Jab!” I put a hand on his cheek, “I would have understood if you had said it was too much for you or you had something else… But I trust you! You've helped me so much so far! I wouldn't ask to trouble you further, but for something like that… I don't think I have any other choice!”

He opened his mouth to say something, paused, then began, “What happened earlier… When I turned, it could have ended up being much worse. I really don't want to hurt you, William, okay?”

“And that's the only reason you won't go?”

He nodded.

“Jab, since it's like that, please.” I stared deep into his eyes, “I know you won't hurt me. So, please, come with me.”

He was quiet a moment, “F-fine. But be careful.”

“Thank you so much!” I threw my arms around his neck in an embrace.

“N-no problem.”