Chapter Eleven

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.
-Charles W. Eliot

"Stop calling me." I grumble at my brother over the phone, he has called me once a hour to keep tabs on me. 

I have had horrible nightmares for the last three days, and scratched my chest so bad that I ripped a shirt. I can't sleep and it's hard for me to eat.

I don't know exactly what's wrong but whatever it is it's happening on a physical level, I can only hope it's a after affect tired thing from healing from being beaten up at the party.

My hand tremors are constant and now I can't hold anything in them long, stuffing them either under my arms or in my pockets.

Nobody has noticed anything wrong in my first few classes, I skipped Home Ed. and now I'm walking into lunch. I don't want to act different, like it affected me.

I want him to believe that yeah, it was just meaningless flirting and just a kiss.

It can be just a kiss, can't it?

Yes.

Because if I believe otherwise, I'm ruined.

This reminds me of the time Mom and Dad got into a fight, I can't even remember what it was about -something about seeing someone in jail. 

Knowing their past it's probably my dad's sperm donor.

Never Grace, never Travis.

Not the people that did this to me. 

Not her mother, not her step-father -if someone could even call them that.

They're evil and it takes a lot for me to call someone that.

"I'll call you however much I want." He snaps back.

I sit down at the table, lazily watching as both Asher's and Link's head snap over to me but I force myself not to care, I'm too tired to care.

"Then you better get used to not being answered." I grumble, wiping under one of my eyes as I let out a monstrous yawn. "You're a fucking douche."

Asher flinches like it's him I'm calling one.

Ha.

"I'm the douche?" Xander exclaims, as if he's surprised I've resorted to insults. "You're the douche. Idiot."

We're Wolfs. It's what we do.

"I got that part, surprisingly. I'm an idiot, you're an idiot. We're co-president's of Club idiot." I put my head down, my speech muffled by my arm.

"I am not an idiot." He whines, I snort. "I'm not."

"Your lies are unnecessary." I tell him.

"You're the like the unnecessary sequel to a movie. You know, second child and all." I lift my head, gaping at the phone as my stupid brother starts laughing at his own insult.

With a growl I hang up on him, slamming my phone down on the table and pinch the bridge of my nose as it starts to ring.

"It's the end of the world as we know it,"

And ring.

"And we're doing just fine."

And ring.

"Yeah, it's the end of the world as we know it."

And ring.

"You gonna answer that Elle?" Lincoln asks, making my head snap up to him.

"You called me Elle." I mumble, feeling suddenly drained. "Why Weasley, am I growing on you?"