Chapter Thirty-Nine

And books, they offer one hope -- that a whole universe might open up from between the covers, and falling into that universe, one is saved.
-Anne Rice

"I hate you." Link grumbles after the fifth time I've shot him with the sink's hose nozzle, as Mom asked us both to wash the dishes. It's safe to say I took advantage of the situation. 

"Why?" I ask with a smirk. "I'm lovely."

"No you're not," The redhead scoffs, placing a dish into the sink after I rinsed it. "You're a nuisance. An insane nuisance at that. I don't know what Asher sees in you, if you were any worse at being bad you would get him into so much trouble." 

"I'm good at being bad, otherwise I'd never drag Asher along with me, or be around him after." I explain, frowning at the thought.

"Elle are you done with dishes?" My dad's voice booms across the house, making Lincoln jump.

"Almost." I shout back, grabbing the dish detergent pack and putting one in.

"Okay well hurry up, and tell Link he can stop if he wants. Alexander will be home any minute, your mom fished out the movies we all made. Asher wanted to watch them. Also, Mom made strawberry shortcake."

In seconds I start the dishwasher, trying to get into the living room as fast as I can -Link following me as close as he can without tripping me. "Dad no! I hate those videos." Pausing as I smell the food, I completely backtrack. "Wait...did you say shortcake?"

Dad, Mom and Lincoln all laugh at me. Asher just sort of stares with a smile, watching as I scan the room for food. 

"Your love of strawberry shortcake doesn't really match your personality or appearance but I still think that's really adorable." The golden boy says, making me scowl and cross my arms.

"I'm not adorable." I huff, but pick up a plate of shortcake anyway. Everyone besides Link, who I think isn't getting one because that'd be partial cannibalism, already has a plate of food. "And -hey! Dad!"

I turn to my evil dad who tries and fails to hide a smirk as I realize he told my boyfriend to sit in my favorite chair again.

That's my seat, always has been.

And normally I'd sit in Asher's lap no problem but he isn't a big fan of PDA and I want to avoid the snarky comments that are sure to come my way once the stupid angel girl and my brother come. So I scowl at the Devil before taking a seat at Gold's feet.

Lincoln sits in the chair next to his best friend -which is when I realize there are a lot more places to sit then there should be.

A lot more.

"Mom what the f-"

"OH EMMIE I'M HOME! Get your sweet ass over here and give me some love." The voice of my uncle fills the house right after the boom of my front door slamming open stops.

My mom goes to get up and rush to one of her closest friends but Dad holds her back with a growl.

Uncle Nolan rushes in the room, pouting with disappointment while his points eye-liner still manages to look perfect. "Why is she on you and not on me?"

"Because she's my wife and the only person her 'sweet ass' will ever be going to is me and I'm not sharing her love so fuck off." My dad snarls, making Mom turn red and squeak in embarrassment.

After being married for so long you'd think she'd be used to it.

"Eliza!" The grown, but very gay man squeals and goes to run and probably tackle me flat to the ground.