Chapter 1

Same Mistakes

Chapter 1

Marie's POV

"Sometimes when you lose your way, you find YOURSELF." ~ Mandy Hale, The Single Woman: Life, Love and a Dash of Sass. 

        The cold air of January seeped through my skin, trailing goosebumps on both my arms. Even with my baggy sweaters and thick comforter, I couldn't resist shuddering from the shivers which was caused by the open window. I didn't have enough savings to buy things that would make this ancient apartment as homey as I like.

        I wonder how the other tenants survived living in this worn out, old looking building?

        I tossed and turn for a while, still contemplating whether to close the window or let it stay open. In the end, I decided to open it half way, learning that I might die because of the freezing temperature tonight. This would be my first time to let an open window on my room during nighttime, because in the past few months, I was so terrified to leave at least one lock from my door. 

        I had this habit of checking the door, securing the locks in place for so many times, and you would think I lost my mind. I was an orphan, for crying out loud. I never knew that living alone was like swallowing my whole wrist inside my mouth. It was really a bad idea to let it stay open for the entire night, so I got up again, closing and locking the window. 

        It's better safe than sorry.

        It had only been five months since I moved on from a traumatic experience. A man named Phil Dwyer adopted me. He was an epitome of a real father I never had in my life. He filled the gaps of the loneliness I felt for so long, yet there were spaces that could never be replaced by him; pieces that only my real parents could fill. 

        Phil didn't have a family of his own, which made him adopt me. He was a lawyer - a very good one, and he also did a very good job in taking care of me. I loved him. I still love him until now. I was so grateful that he had chosen me. The warmth, the joy, and so much excitement of experiencing for the first time to have someone was so good, but I never knew it would suddenly end.

        He took me to school everyday, until I finished my Senior high school. He was there when I received my diploma, and the look in his eyes so proud was making me beyond happy that time. He was always there for me. He had loved me like we were of the same blood line, like I was his own daughter. I wasn't some spoiled brat, but he liked buying things for me. 

        Those happy memories lasted one night. A police officer called my phone around eight in the evening. I was so close into panicking, feeling the bile on my throat, making me want to vomit the remains of my stomach. I rushed to the hospital, but all I got was the doctor saying, "Dead on arrival". I spent the whole night crying at his body - his cold and dead body covered with white sheet.

        I didn't want to blame the driver, who definitely had too much alcohol in his system, but it was so painful that I wanted to put all the hatred and blame to him for Phil's death. He was the only person in the world that I have. Just when I thought I could finally have someone to love and take care of me, a tragedy washed all of my dreams, shattering them into thousands of pieces. 

        There was a last will and testament, but the things stated didn't last for a long period of time. We were nowhere near high class nor average, but we managed just fine. I tried to budget every thing the day he died, but time came where every thing just seemed to lessen. The simple house we had was sold in order to pay the hospital bills, funeral and so much more.