Chapter 5

Same Mistakes

Chapter 5

Anthony's POV 

"...but even strong women need an arm to lean on now and then." ~ Anna Whitney, Glory in Death

        "Jasper, I gotta go now! Thanks again for the drink!" I said, clapping his shoulder.

        "No problem. Make sure you arrive early for your shift tomorrow; my fellas would be over here."

        "Will do!"

        I exited the bar at around eight thirty in the evening. My boss, Jasper Cullen, had given me a job as a bartender after I graduated high school. He and I would talk very often, and we had been best friends since then. Jasper's a year younger than me, but was already handling a big time club in Chicago. No wonder, his parents were loaded. Hell, the name Cullen here in Chicago is big time!

        I walked a little too fast, afraid that Marie wouldn't wait for me to walk with her going home. I ran my fingers through my hair, silently willing it to at least be decent. Hell, I would be entering a five star restaurant, and I looked like a drunkard? No, thank you. Suddenly, I felt very nervous. Fuck. I never felt nervous around women, and now I acted like a pansy ass.

        I reached the restaurant, wondering why it wasn't packed like always. I knocked on the front glass door, because I didn't want to be rude by walking inside with a CLOSED sign outside. A little brunette girl, maybe Marie's co-worker, came to open the door.

        "Uhm, yes?" she asked, eyeing me curiously.

        "I was wondering if Marie is here?" I asked, and I saw her whole features morphed into sadness.

        "You are her...?"

        "Anthony. I'm her friend. We actually agreed to walk together going home," I answered, shoving my hands on my pockets.

        "I, uh, she went home. Marie's fired," she whispered the last word, that I almost didn't hear it.

        I stared at her flabbergasted. Why would she be fired? "Oh, okay. I guess I'll just visit her then. Thank you, Angela." I smiled, and she blushed a little when I said her name.

        Actually, I saw her name tag on the side.

        Angela closed the door, and I started walking again to the direction of the building. I was suddenly feeling so sad of what happened to Marie. She was just so kind, independent and fucking beautiful... sexy even. I pushed my nagging thoughts and feelings away, continued walking quietly through the dark street.

        When I rounded the corner, I saw a lady kneeling on the ground, her things lying around the front building with our landlord standing at the top of the stairs shouting. I ran, recognizing it was Marie. I reached her side, startling her a little by my presence. She was crying, still begging for another week, but the landlord wasn't hearing her out.

        "Marie, shh..." I whispered, hugging her face to me.

        "But I... don't have anywhere to go," she said through her sobs. "I'm fired. I don't have enough money..." she trailed off, and I thought my heart would fucking break.

        "I'm here, you know. I'll help you," I said, cradling her face to look at me.

        Marie looked up at me with those big doe eyes of hers. She surprised me when she threw her arms around my neck, hugging the life outta me.