Chapter 1 "The Portrait"

• Opgedragen aan Miguel

It all started with a glimpse, a simple glimpse that changed my life forever. The world around me stood still as my eyes examined the man before me. I stood tall as I lost myself examining the man in the portrait. It was the portrait of a young man dressed in his army uniform. I lost myself in what could have been a matter of seconds. There where other portraits sitting in the same coffe table but this one stood out the most. I held the portrait closer to take in all if its beauty.

I remember this day like it was yesterday.The portrait showed a man in his army uniform, it looked liked it was recently polished. The man in the portrait was around his 20s. He was a light skinned man with eyes as beautiful as the sea. This man was like no other men. His appearance was absolutely stunning. Words can not explain the elegance, seriousness, and dedication this man showed in this portrait.

It was all a matter of seconds when I finally gained conscious of the world around me. I realized I had been staring blanky at the portrait before me. I slowly and gently placed the portrait back on the coffe table. I contemplated the portrait one last time and slowly walked away from it. As I walked away I began to get the urge to go back and take another peek at it but I held my ground and walked away.

Grandma was in the kitchen washing her hands when I came in. I noticed my lil cousin playing with his car on the other room across the hall. Before I knew it grandma was already talking to me.

"So are you having any fun so far? Grandma asked.

"Well,so far so good" I replied

"I saw how you takin a peek at the portraits in the livin room" grandma said.

"Yeahh I was just ..." I said slowly

"Well I noticed you were looking at one in particular." Said grandma

"Ohh its nothing grandma, just me snoppin around" I said nervously

"Well if you want to leave it at that I will play along with you and pretend to believe you" grandma said jokingly

"Grandma!!" I replied back

We kept going back and forth with the conversation until someone walked in the kitchen. I excused myself and walked out of kitchen. I walked in the living room where my lil cousin was playin. I grabbed the tv remote and began to flip through the channels. What seemed like minutes soon turned into hours.

The day couldnt have been any better.The trip to the city with grandma was a sucess. I was happy to hear it was time to head back home.

After the hour drive back to our hometown, we finally pulled in the driveway. I got a hold of all my stuff including my hello kitty handbag. Grandma helped me to the front door were my mom was standing. As we approached the door I could see my mom was excited to see me. I embraced her with a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek. I did the same to my grandma who held her arms open infront me ready to be embraced.

"Goodnight grandma! Thanks for the trip!" I said

"Your welcome, sweetheart!" grandma said

"I love you grandma! Have a goodnight!" I replied

"Goodnight sweetie, I love you too!" Grandma said

With that said I went inside the house and made my way upstairs to my room. I noticed that my little sister was still awake but I was too tired to go and talk to her. So I went past her room and into mine. It felt good to finally be in my room after such a long day. I loved my room more than anything in the world. I put down my hello kitty handbag on my bed and then I went straight to the shower.

I got undresssed and I hopped in the shower.After the shower I wrapped myself in my towel. The shower had served me good. All the muscles in my body felt relaxed.

I walked back into my room shuttin the door behind me. I walked to my dresser where my Pjs were nicely folded and put away. I decided on my favorite hello kitty Pjs. As I gently closed the drawer I notice my iphone go off. I approached my bed where my phone layed and reached out to grab it. I noticed I had missed calls and text I was to tired to sit and answer everything that I knew it was best to leave it till morning. I placed my phone on the bedside table.

I got into my Pjs and hopped into bed. I reached for the lamp on the bedside table and the security of visisbility was gone.I closed my eyes in hopes of getting some sleep but instead I began to think about the man in the photograph I had seen today.

I thought to myself, why am I thinking about him if I don't even know him? I must meet him. Why is this happening? What is wrong with me?He cant only be the man in the portrait forever? Could it be? Will it be?

With these thoughts I slowly drifted to off to sleep...

Could it be?