Chapter 4: After school

• Dedicated to Miguel

We headed out the main doors of the school building. Sam and I walked together to where our buses were, her bus was the one in front of mine. As we walked closer to the bus we say Abby with her group of friends. We approached Sam's bus, we said goodbye to each other. She gave me her cellphone number so we could be in touch. I knew our friendship was to a good start. We hugged and then as she was about to get on the bus she noticed that I was nervous. She asked me if I was OK, and I told her I was going to be okay. She hopped in her bus and I continued on to my bus. I made a stop to where my bus was, the doorway way was being blocked by one of the girls.

" Excuse me, I need to get on my bus" I said nervously

" Did you hear something?" one of the girls said

" No, its probably a nobody talking" said one of the girls sarcastically

" Excuse but I'm right here you know!" I said furiously

" Ohh she is trying to stand up for her pity little self." said one of the girls sarcastically

" Look I am not trying to start anything with you, all I am trying to do is get on my bus but you ain't making this any easy!" I said furiously

" haha!!! " They all laughed

" You know how girls like you end up like" said one of the girls

" Should we show her! " said another one

By this point I was terrified. The Bus driver the noticed the commotion this group of her girls were creating. She told them to leave me alone but they didn't listen. One of the girls grabbed and pulled me away. I saw Abby stay behind unnoticed, she went on bus to distract the bus driver. I asked myself how could she do this to me. She is my best friend, those girls who were about to do who knows what to me were her friends. I Began to sob as I realized my best friend had just betrayed my trust.

The girl who pulled me away had grabbed a stronger hold of me by this point. When we were far away as possible from the school building and the bus area, we were by an alley. There was only one way out of it behind them. I taught how could I get myself out of this one I taught.

The girl holding me tossed me into the ally, I looked back and noticed that one of the girls was approching me, she bent down and looked me straight in the eyes. I was terrified.

" Let me properly introduce myself, My name is Kerri" said Kerri

" I don't care who you are, I just want you to leave me alone!" I said frightened

" You ain't getting out of this one." Kerri said reassuringly

She stood up and began to pound me in the stomach with her kicks. There were some moments were I would try to gasp for air. Finally she stopped,I taught it was over but to my surprise it was only beginning. They stood me up and they gathered in a circle, it was no surprise were I was, in the middle. They Pushed me around until I felt a blow in my face, someone had punched me in the face. My glasses flew off my face, in the distance I heard a crack of glass. Someone had stepped on them and broke them. I began to sob, but it hurt to much to do so. I try to cut loose but as I tried to break loose they pulled me in. I screamed for help but nobody came. They punched me several times in the stomach, till i dropped on the hard cement. The blood began to pour out of my mouth and nose. I could see the puddle forming.

I tried to stay awake, My vision began to get blurred I could see the group of girls follow Kerri out of the alley, I felt relief to know that it was over. But I felt stupid and dumb because I didn't have the courage to stand up for myself. But this wasn't the time to think this way, when I began to feel to comfortable I felt someones breathing, it was Kerri. She threatened to beat the crap out of me even harder than today if i spoke of this to anyone.

She walked away once more and then to be secure I began to make an effort to get myself up. I looked around for my bookbag and my glasses. My glasses were broken,I couldn't hold back the tears. As I grabbed my glasses, the tears ran down my cheeks, I placed the broken pieces in my bookbag. I had gotten my bookbag out of the garbage can were they had stashed it. I put my bookbag on and began to walk out of the alley.

I walked on the side walk, it was very painful to walk. I had to take breaks in between. I went and searched for my Iphone, it was in perfect condition. They had not gotten a hold of it. I had billions of text messages from Sam and my mom. I decided to text Sam only because I didn't want to worry my mom. I asked Sam if she could pick me up at a diner. I told her the address, while I waited I decided to go inside the diner.I went to the .bathroom to wash up a bit. I washed my face and I tried to clean up my clothes. I had pain a lot of pain coming from the sides of my body but I didn't want to cause any drama. I put on my sweater to cover the blood stains on my shirt.

I looked up to mirror where I saw my reflection, I saw how banged up I looked. I hated Abby for not stopping her friends from doing such a violent act to her best friend. Her "Best Friend" I tought, so much for that.... I hated myself even more for lettting it go as far as it did.

After I put myself or atleasr I tried, I stepped out of the bathroom and sat at a table. it was already night time and my phone was ringing non stop. I finally answered the phone it was mom. She sounded like she was mad, scared, and afraid. I tried to tell her that I was okay but she wouldn't let me speak. I had a horrible headache, and her screaming on the phone wasn't helping. I hung up on her and plunged my head in the table. It seemed like more than a minute had gone by when I caught myself asleep. I immediately pulled my head back up and looked around for any signs of Sam. I saw a car pull in, it was no surprise it was Sam. Her mom followed behind, Sam asked if i was OK. She saw the bruises on my face and she didn't question it. She knew what had happened.

She blamed herself for letting me go alone and for not being there to help. She was furious, her mom told us it was getting late and that we had to go. We got in the car and pulled out of the dinner. Her mom was quite the driver, she drove pretty fast. Before I knew it we were pulling into my driveway. Sam got off the car and helped me to the door. I ranged the doorbell several times unitl someone finally answered the door. My mom answered the door, she noticed that I wasnt acompanied by Abby but by some stranger.

I said goodbye to Sam and waved goodbye to Sam's mom. I walked in the house, I heard my mom say thank you to Sam and her mom for getting me home safely. She closed the door behind her. I was half way up the stairs when my mom stopped me and began to yell at me I was not happy... All I could say was " Mom please... not now, I could explain everything tomorrow". I said that was the only thing I could say before I began to sob. Everything began to hurt as I continued up the stairs. I reached my Bedroom door, i opened it and walked in. It felt good to finally be in my room, as i went to close my door someone stopped it. It was mom, she looked frightened. I let her walk in and then I walked to my bed and layed on it to relax every bone in my body that was hurting.

My mom sat at the edge of the bed, she had a tear running down her cheek. She looked hurt, she only said,

"I am upset that you didn't trust me enough to call me where ever is it that you where."

" I didnt want to worry you, Mom". I said between sobs

" I don't care about any of that, I am your mother and I care." said mom

" I send you to school in one piece and look at the way you come back home" said mom

" I am so sorry mom, I just failed you, you told me to be careful and I wasn't." I said

" No, sweetheart you didnt fail me, you could never fail me." said mom in tears

" Who did this to you baby.. and why?" She asked

" Mom please not now, everything hurts, please understand." I said

" OK I wont torment you any longer, but come tomorrow I want to know everything, OK? Said mom

" Thanks Mom, I love you." I said in Between sobs

" I love you too, and remember you can trust me with anything." said mom

Then she leaning forward and gave me a warm kiss on my forehead. She got up and walked out of the room. I wanted to stop her to give her big hug but my acking body would just not allow me. I sanked in my pillow as I thought to myself, could this be the life I was gonna live for the rest of my junior high, could it be? As taught about this I began to feel a little tired and a few seconds later I drifted off to sleep.