Chapter 1

KOKICHI OUMA

"Don't you want to feel important?" Tsumugis words cut through Kokichi Ouma's core. Of course, he did.  Who doesn't want to feel important? Liked? Hell, even loved? Kokichi dug his hands into his dark uniform pants. He thought about the weight of her words.

Tsumugi cups Kokichi's shoulder in her hand, making sure to be ever so careful with the fragile boy. "Take my offer into consideration. I know how much you love Danganronpa." She smiles a warm, comforting smile. She takes his clenched hand and unwraps it, placing a Monokuma charm in his shaking hand. It was made of plastic, and it appeared that the monochrome split could be taken apart, similar to that of a fortune cookie. She walked away, her boots clicking down the empty hallway.  Kokichi sat on the bench next to the framed photograph of Junko Enoshima. A star. A legend. Someone Kokichi could only dream to be.

He decided to walk back to his dorm, away from the Danganronpa information center. He was unsure of how he felt about the whole thing. He knew that as for himself, the universe would never be in his favor. And here was his chance. To become someone. To participate in something larger than life, his favorite show. He would have to ask Saihara about it when he returned to their shared dorm. He sinks into his black pullover hoodie with the numbers 55 on the back. 

It was 10 PM, 3 hours past curfew. It didn't matter though. Kokichi caressed the Monokuma charm in his hoodie pocket. He had a big decision to make.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You passed the first interview too?!" Saihara exclaimed, excitement oozing from his lips. He smiled at the shorter boy, holding up his matching Monokuma charm. Saihara never failed to make Kokichi's heart flutter. He smiled shyly and held his up, too.

"I'm g-glad t-that we get t-to go in for the final interview. I was almost scared that I would be left out from you, Amami-Kun and Akamatsu-San." Kokichi said, staring into the monochromatic eyes of the Monokuma Charm. "I'm not as charismatic as you guys."

"I think you're perfect, Ouma-Kun." Saihara hummed, clicking the two charms together. Ouma flushed slightly, his fingers brushing up against Saiharas knuckles. "You're my best friend, you hear? I can't wait to do Danganronpa with you." 

-                                                                                  -                                                                                      -

Ouma's gut tingled as he lay in bed. It was dark around him, as Saihara had drifted 10 minutes ago (Kokichi always checks). He warily turns on his phone, logging onto the Danganronpa Fan forums. The segments of the forums usually range from theories to straight twisted fantasies. That's just the nature of his fandom. Kokichi knew what he wanted out of the ever- winding forums though. He checked his feed.

                                                      KirigiriFan_Sai has updated his status

                                          I'm so fucking tired of all of these faceless watchers.

                             They watch others suffer at the hands of worthless garbage. Makes me 

                                                                                  sick. SMH.

Kokichi smiled guiltily. He knew he shouldn't be stalking Saihara's social platforms, but he couldn't help it. He loved seeing this side of Saihara, even if it scared him. For example, the time he described, in excessive detail, how he would kill his first target in DRV3 if he got in.  Ouma Kokichi's sweet, really cute best friend was a secret sadist. Sure it scared Kokichi. Who wouldn't be afraid? As he drifted, he thought of the Monokuma charm in his pocket. He ran his thumb over its sleek casing, one last time. He thought of his friends. He thought of his personality that would be erased. He thought of the life he would lose. But then, he saw something else. 

The torment he received from bullies.

His mom, how she had nothing left to give him after his dad left.

He thought of his therapist, who questioned the scars lining his body.

"Don't you want to feel important?" Tsumugis words rang out, one final time. 

'Yes. Yes, I do Shirogane-San. Thank you.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------