two ✦ bonding

KIRSTIE:

Today is my first day. I'm scared to go in. Like last time, Kevin was busy today and Carter had to come to work with me. I hope this doesn't give me a bad impression at work. I would hate to get fired on my first day. Getting out of the car, I waited for Carter to unbuckle. We walked into the shop together and he sat down in a booth. I looked for Scott and saw him putting pastries on the counter.

"Woah. Did you make all of these?" I looked at all of them with wide eyes.

He jumped slightly, not knowing I was there. "Oh hey Kirstie. Yeah I got here at 5 to start baking." He explained as he put the last pastry down.

"Oh, okay. I have a question." I said hesitantly.

"What is it?" He looked down at me questionably.

"Um.. so I didn't have anywhere else for Carter to stay and so I thought it would be fine for him to stay here. If it's not, I am so, so, sorry. I didn't know.." I said talking fast.

"Wait, Kirst. Slow down. It is totally fine for him to stay here. I don't mind at all." He smiled as I calmed down. He called me 'Kirst'. That's new for him.

The store opened in an hour. I decided to give Carter my phone while I asked Scott questions.

"Okay so, what all do I need to do?" I looked up at him.

"Um.. I will get someone to train you today and we can see how you do after" he said while continuing to cut everything on.

"Who is going to train me?"

"That I do not know. If we're low on workers, I will have to."

I nodded and walked around to give myself a tour of everything. I'm still amazed that I got this job. It's the best thing I could ask for.

————————

SCOTT:

I called her 'Kirst'. Wow that was very unprofessional of me. You're her boss, Scott. Don't get caught up in some affection. I looked over at her brother. He looks very lonely. I stared out the window for a few seconds before walking to the cash register. I bent down to get something out of the bottom cabinet. I got out a notebook and some pens. Smiling, I walked over to Kirstie's little brother. I placed the items in front of him. He looked up at me slowly.

"Hey, bud. I'm Scott. What's your name?"

"I'm Carter." he said softly.

"And you're Kirstie's brother right?" he nodded. "Cool! You like to draw?"

He shrugged, "I've never drawn before." he looked down.

"Awe i'm sure you have. What about at school?"

"Um.. I've never been to school. Momma and Daddy said they could teach me on their own since we didn't have much money." he nervously played with his fingers. I noticed that Kirstie does that as well.

Wow. I sighed softly, "Well, I will teach you." I grabbed the notebook and began demonstrating how to draw a tree.

After many tries and him getting frustrated, he finally drew a tree that met his standards. He was in awe of his creation and couldn't stop staring at it. He ran around the table, jumping in the seat with me and he wrapped his arms around my neck, giving me a huge hug. I smiled and laughed a little.

"Thank you, Scotty!" I smiled more at the nickname.

"You're welcome, Bud." I ruffled his hair and he giggled. This kid is cute. I saw Kirstie come out of the back and I waved at her. Carter ran over to girl.

"Sissy! Sissy! Sissy! Look what I did! Scotty helped me! He's so nice!" He threw the paper into her hands and she looked at it, smiling wide.

"This is so good, Bubba. I love it." She bent down to get eye level with the boy before kissing him on the cheek.

"Ew! Sissy! Cooties!" He wiped his faced off and make a disgusted face. Kirstie and I both laughed and looked at each other. She mouthed 'Thank you' and I just shook my head saying that there was no need to thank me.

I watched their interaction, smiling. They're cute. I looked over at Kirstie and studied her beauty. Her shiny brown eyes, perfect hair, amazing bone struc— Stop it! We've already discussed this. You can't date your employee. It's against the rules. If you date her, you will have to fire her. Don't get caught up. Do your job.

- Time skip -

Today went smoothly. We had more business in the shop which was good. At least we're starting to get money. I trained Kirstie today and she was catching on really quickly. I saw some guy pick up Carter a few hours ago. I'm assuming he knew the man since he called him, "Kevu". This kid and his nicknames. He cracks me up. It is 15 minutes till closing. I looked over at Kirstie and she looks like a zombie.

"Hey you okay?" I asked, nudging her slightly.

She jumped, scared and nodded, "Oh. um.. yeah i'm fine."

I looked at her skeptically. "Are you sure because you look like you could fall asleep right here."

She looked at me and sighed. "No. I'm not okay. First my parents get arrested, now I have to take care of Carter alone. I'm not okay. But, this is my life now. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how to survive. Sorry for bringing all of that up.. I just needed someone to talk to." She played with her hands and looked down with tears in her eyes.

"Kirst.. I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with all that." I pulled her into a hug. "I know that I just met you but, you are so strong. I know that you are going to do an amazing job with Carter as well. If you ever need anything, I'm here. Remember that." I rubbed her back and let go of the hug.

"Thank you so much, Scotty." That name. "And, thank you for spending time with Carter today, he really needs it." She smiled and hugged me again.

"Anytime. I will gladly draw with him whenever he wants. He's a really good kid." I smiled more and slowly pulled away from the hug. "Closing is in 9 minutes. You can go ahead and go if you want." She nodded and said her goodbyes before walking out of the shop.

Man, I haven't even known her for a week and I'm already getting feelings for her. But who couldn't? Every time I see her, butterflies develop into my stomach, making me nervous. She is on my mind 24/7 and I don't know what to do. It's killing me not being able to act on my feelings.

———————
ayeeeee i should be sleeping
– <3
{1168 words}