Chapter 8

Brandyl rummaged around in an old sack he had brought with him. He reached deep into the bag and pulled out a soft gold, neatly folded, piece of cloth. His eyes watered as he carefully handed it to Plum.

"What is it?" Plum asked as she unfolded it.

Plum fell silent, tears rolled down her cheek.

"I found it many many years ago during my youthful kill, murder days," Brandyl said.

"It's beautiful," she said holding the long gold and cream color elven gown up to her.

"I believe elven women wear this type of gown when they marry," Brandyl said. I don't know what possessed me to keep it, but I'm glad I did."

"Thank you, it's beautiful," Plum said through her tears.

"You like it, but you can't stop crying," Brandyl said wiping away her tears. "Are you worried about Urim?"

"No," Plum said taking her father's hand and holding it tight.

"If I marry Urim, the Battleaxe clan will be annexed into the Blood Horde. An orc clan can not have two Chieftain. You'll be banished from the horde or, kill if Urim orders it." Plum sobbed uncontrollably.

"Oh Plum, my daughter, do not weep for this old orc. I've lived a good life, you and Orgul are all that matters to me. If Urim chooses to kill me and he won't. But for you and Orgul I would surely die with no regrets." Brandyl smiled. "Trust in Urim he will be your husband, your lifelong mate and he truly cares about you or he wouldn't have gone after One Eye. He wouldn't do anything to hurt you."

          Brandyl rushed outside when he heard a loud commotion. Plum followed behind him and sucked in her breath, overwhelmingly relieved to see Urim. The horde cheered for their Chieftain behind him he dragged the dead carcass of One Eye.

Her heart leaped with joy when she saw him standing there. He had deep claw marks across his chest and back. He'd lost a little weight but it only served to make his muscular physique more defined.

The albino bear was twice the size of Urim, how he managed to kill that ornery beast would be the talk of Sapphire for years to come.

Urim presented One Eye to Brandyl, he examined the corpse then nodded his head with approval. Urim then turned his attention to Plum. He had missed her more than he realized. When he saw her standing there before him tears welling up in her eyes because she had been so worried about him. It took all the energy he could muster not to grab her and simply hold her.

"I kept you waiting," Urim said.

Plum could only manage to nod her head yes while smiling. He slowly lifted his hand and dangled a beautiful crystal in front of her.

Urim had presented Plum with the most valuable gemstone in all of Sapphire. A season stone as beautiful as it was rare. It changed colors according to the seasons. Spring it turned green, summer it turned yellow, fall is orange sometimes red, and in winter it turned gray, and on rare occasions, it turned white mimicking a diamond.

The season stone is the most coveted in Sapphire. At one-time season stones could be found throughout Sapphire. But now maybe one is found every ten to twenty years.

"It's beautiful," Plum said. "Is this why it took you so long?" She choked back her tears.

Urim nodded, "fifty-eight days to find the stone and that was luck, not skill. Two days to kill One Eye. And that was all skill."

Urim anxiously took a step forward. All Plum had to do was accept his gift, and by orc law, they would be officially married.

"I love it," Plum said taking the season stone in her hand, clutching it to her chest. "I cherish it forever."

"And I will cherish you forever," Urim said.

Brandyl smiled and wiped away his tears. Orgul attempted to grab Brandyl's hand to comfort him but Brandyl shooed him away.

That night the horde celebrated the Chieftain's marriage in style there was music, dancing. Lots and lots of meat and grog which Urim as Plum's husband and Chieftain forbid her to drink. There was also the orcs favorite, mud wrestling.

While the orcs indulged themselves, Plum waited for Urim in his tent, her new home. She was a married woman now. When she first started on this journey she never thought it would lead her here, married to a powerful Chieftain. But for her this was bittersweet. She was gaining a husband but losing a father.

"Plum," Brandyl called from outside. "I'm coming in."

Brandyl heart nearly stopped when he saw Plum standing there in her wedding dress. The gold dress complimented her dark skin and made her eyes glow.

The off the shoulder gold gown trimmed in cream-colored lace fit Plum just right at the breast and waste then flowed down to the ground.

Brandyl couldn't hold back his tears. "You look like a princess!" he yelled as he ran from the tent crying.

"Father ran away crying like some human girl," Orgul said as he entered the tent. "And I can see, why you look stunning."

"Thank you Orgul." Plum smiled.

Even Orgul could see, she was so happy she was glowing.

"Urim is a lucky Orc," Orgul said.

Plum blushed. "Thank you Orgul, I know it was you who convinced father to let me come here."

"Your welcome Lil sis," Orgul said kissing her forehead. "Well, this is a celebration. I guess I should go find father and get him drunk. He needs to drink away his happy sorrows. And besides, I think I saw Urim heading this way."

Plum's heart began to race at the thought of seeing Urim. All this time she couldn't wait to see him, now she was anxious just at the thought. Her legs were shaking so hard she had to sit down and try to regain her composure, and just when she felt herself starting to calm down, Urim walked in.

Plum rose to her feet and greeted her husband, her Chieftain with the warmest and welcoming smile a wife could give her husband. Urim could only stare, she was a vision of loveliness.

His gaze intensified as he walked towards her. Plum's heart began to race once more her breathing became short and hard.

"Beautiful," Urim said.

Her voice shook, "thank you."

He reached for her and she accepted his touch. Her hand was so small compared to his. She was nervous and he knew it. He pulled her close and lifted her off the ground with ease. He had waited so long to hold her.

Plum's hands slowly slid down to the nape of his neck as their lips met. He was calm and steady and it relaxed her. His kiss, warm and tender, when he slid his tongue into her mouth she didn't fight it. She let out a low moan and Urim holds her tighter.

That night, Urim fell in love with Plum Apricot.