Chapter One | Gone Shoppin'

A/N: A bunch of you have asked me to put my old stories back up--this one in particular

A/N: A bunch of you have asked me to put my old stories back up--this one in particular. I'll upload one chapter a day so I don't flood your timeline.
Thanks for reading :)

***

"A dozen eggs.. check."

I had just placed the delicate item in the top portion of my shopping cart, checking the item from my neatly alphabetized list, when I heard the song begin to play.

It's not a silly little moment
It's not the storm before the calm
This is the deep and dyin' breath of
This love we've been workin' on

Despite my best efforts, a gasp bubbled from my lips, one traitorous tear slipping from a red-rimmed eye before I could catch it.

"Perfect," I grumbled.

John Mayer was a lyrical genius, but he tended to be a little too on the nose with his timing these days. A few days earlier at the dentist's, while under the delightful effects of laughing gas, he crooned through the speakers and burst my bubble of contentment with another heartbreaking ballad.

Eyeing my half full cart and my list that was only checked off to the letter E, I decided that was enough shopping for one day. Swallowing back the lump forming in my throat, I hurried over to the register with bittersweet movies playing out behind my eyelids.

Would I ever get over this breakup?

Or was I destined to wander aimlessly through the market forever, shopping only for myself?

"Everybody down on the ground! This is a robbery!"

A man's angry yell cut through my melancholy, a tidal wave of fear rolling over me to drown out the sadness.

Every hair on my arms stood at attention as the people in front of me dropped obediently to the ground.

The anxiety closed in from the edges of my conscious, a panic attack crouched low and waiting to strike.

But a tiny whimper from behind me grabbed my attention, pushing the fear back to the shadows.

Turning my head ever so slowly, I caught a glimpse of a tiny girl, no more than four, standing all alone as she watched the masked men surround the innocent shoppers.

The robbers hadn't spotted us yet, still nestled in the safety of the cereal aisle, but it was only a matter of time.
I backed up slowly, meeting her big brown eyes and waving my fingers to signal she should come to me.

The tightness in my chest began to ease the second she rushed into my arms.

"My name is Amelia. I'm going to keep you safe." I whispered the words so quietly I wasn't even sure she heard me, before sliding to the ground with her snuggled up in the protection of my arms.