Chapter Nine | New Beginnings

Amelia

Amelia

The incessant buzzing of my cell phone pulled me from the shadows of my slumber. My palm flew to the bedside table to silence the offending object, finding only air beside me.

My eyes shot open when I realized I wasn't in my own room. I pushed up on my elbows and looked around.

I was surrounded by deep shades of navy and Bordeaux, along with heavy dark wood furniture. Every aspect of the bedroom was rugged and masculine, save for the sweet crayon drawings framed along the wall. I sighed when I remembered I was in Elijah's room.

Memories of our passionate tryst on the patio washed over me, warming me immediately from the inside. If only he were still in bed with me, we could have been making love now in the light of the early morning sun.

I felt that gentle flutter in my chest, the kind that appears when you're at the start of something new and exciting. Despite the murkiness of the future and the threat of danger lurking nearby, I knew I didn't regret a moment of last night.

The thought of seeing him again made my pulse race in the best way, knowing if Tyler saw the grin on my face right now, he would tease me mercilessly.

I stretched my arms above my head and groaned at the pull of tired muscles. My legs were sore, but it was a good ache that would leave me smiling when I felt it later.

Rolling over with a lovesick grin, I found a piece of paper resting against the pillows.

Lovely Amelia,
You are even more breathtaking in repose. Niklaus and I are meeting with Carol Lockwood now, but I'll be back before lunch. I've grabbed some of my sister's clothes, and the shower is fully stocked. Make yourself at home.
-Elijah

My eyes landed on a clean hoodie and jeans, neatly placed on a chair beside the bed.

I folded the paper in half before grabbing my cell phone from the floor beside me.

My phone alerted me to a dozen messages from a worried Jackson. I read only the first two before Elijah's warning words replayed in my mind, his mysterious father threatening to drag me under the dark clouds of fear. I shook my head, knowing I was safe here.

I sent Jackson a quick text back, not eager to lead him on now that I'd chosen Elijah.

I'm safe with the Mikaelsons. I'll call you later.

After flipping my phone face down with a sigh, I let myself into the bathroom for a much needed shower.

***

I was just finishing up with my hair, when I heard the doorknob turn, a high pitched squeal cutting through my daydreams.

"Amelia? Why are you in Daddy's room?"