Chapter Eleven | Finally*

A/N: This is the final chapter, but the epilogue will post momentarily. There's some hot smut below to ease you into Monday morning ;)

***

Amelia

Everyone has a weakness, someone or something that can bring them to their knees. In Mikael's case, I could clearly see that weakness was Carol Lockwood.

When my best friend's mother stepped out of the shadows, I nearly swallowed my tongue. I sat on the cold cement floor, shackled to the wall, watching it all unfold through wide, unblinking eyes.

"Carol? What are you doing here?" Mikael's voice was thick with emotion as he drank her in.

She was dressed in a pale pink wool skirt, cream camisole, and matching pink jacket. Her light brown hair was curled softly at her shoulders, a strand of pearls resting at her collarbone. But it was the gentle smile on her face that left me speechless.

Carol Lockwood was staring at Elijah's father with the most loving expression. She stepped forward, cupping his face with her hand, and his shoulders relaxed as he leaned into her touch.

"Mikael, I think the question is what are you doing here?"

Mikael stiffened, his cheeks turning red under her gaze.

"Well, I..." His eyes dropped to the ground as he tried to come up with an explanation.

"You were supposed to be healing, Mikael. You promised you would get the help you needed at Fauline, and I swore I'd wait. That was the plan, remember?" She planted her hands at her hips.

"Now the boys told me you've kidnapped your own granddaughter? And this woman here that you've taken against her will? She's like a daughter to me."

Her voice was sharp but still carefully measured as she spoke to him, similar to the way a kind teacher reprimands a child.

"Darling, you don't understand." Mikael clasped his hands behind his back, the guilty frown on his face showing us all that he knew he was wrong.

Heaving a deep sigh, Carol drew him close before curling herself into his arms.

"Then explain it to me. Is there somewhere we can talk?" She asked, stroking his back tenderly. "Privately?"

He nodded, turning to lead her towards the dark hallway.

As soon as Mikael's back was facing the men, a side door slid open.

I heaved a deep sigh of relief when Jackson and Caroline, along with a half dozen other uniformed officers, streamed inside the warehouse.

He was so enthralled by Carol that they had all gotten into position--surrounding Mikael with weapons drawn--before he even noticed they were there. The squeak of that coward Oliver's shoes as he tried to run finally pulled Mikael's attention away, but it was too late.

"Fun's over, Pops," Jackson growled, pulling out a pair of gleaming handcuffs.

The shock on Mikael's face when he realized his beloved Carol had betrayed him would linger in my mind for years to come, but I couldn't dwell on it now.

Elijah came rushing over to me, wrapping me in his arms.

"It's okay. You're safe now," he said, just before I passed out.

***

"Where'd Rebekah run off to? I didn't even get a chance to introduce myself before she disappeared," I wondered, standing in the doorway between the kitchen and the sitting room.