Chapter Five | Wheel of Fortune

"Can we ride again, Daddy?" Evelyn asked after the third go-round had proven just as merry

I swiftly jumped down from my trusty spearmint horse with a patient smile.

"The carousel is fun, Evie, but there's so much more to see! Come on, I'll show you."

I took her tiny hand in mine and helped her down from the ride, while Tyler shot me a grateful look. He trailed behind us quietly with Elijah and Niklaus as we walked through the carnival.

It was starting to get dark now, a blanket of cool air settling over the park. I pulled the sweatshirt from around Evelyn's waist and helped her inside it, zipping it up to her chin despite her protests.

"If we don't want to get sick, we have to keep warm," I reminded her.

Before I could even process the goosebumps forming on my arms, a jacket was produced and placed over my shoulders.

I peeked over at Elijah, and murmured a quick thank you. Neither he nor Klaus had been wearing any type of jacket, but they each held one, and the cologne that engulfed me was definitely Elijah's. I swallowed back a grin.

I knew it was more than just his polished, good looks that drew me to him. His tenderness towards Evelyn, and his gentlemanly charms were enough to turn any woman into a puddle.

Still, it scared me to think about the sudden overwhelming attraction I felt towards this dark and dangerous man, especially knowing so little about him.

Before I could process my feelings any further, the shrill ringing of a cell phone interrupted my thoughts.

"Excuse me a moment," Elijah said suddenly, stepping away with his phone in hand. Klaus followed closely behind him.

I pulled Evie close to me to wait so they wouldn't lose track of us. "Have you ever heard of a Fun House?"

She shook her head no, her tiny dark brows furrowed as she waited for an explanation.

"It looks like a regular house, but it has slides and hidden doors, and even special mirrors that make you look silly. I think you'd love it. Wanna try it with me?"

"Okay. And Tyler can come, too," she said shyly, her eyelashes fluttering adorably as she looked at my best friend. Her other hand wrapped around his and his cheeks reddened.

"That's the same way you looked at Officer Forbes," I teased him over her head.

"Oh, I wouldn't start." He flicked his eyes towards the Mikaelson brothers, who were now speaking animatedly by the entrance to the park.

"Message received," I grumbled, shooting him a look that said he'd better keep his mouth shut.

We both straightened when we caught sight of Elijah and Klaus storming back towards us.