Chapter Three | Princess Evelyn

I could feel the heat creeping over my cheeks as everyone stood and watched me interact with Evelyn

"I missed you, Amelia!"

She snuggled up in my lap like my kitten, smiling contentedly while I stroked her back.

"I missed you too, sweetie. Did you have a fun day, today?"

I wondered if she'd had any trouble sleeping the night before, or if she was so tired she fell asleep immediately, like I did.

"Yup. Uncle Klaus took me to the park and pushed me high on the swings. Then we got ice cream!"

"I love ice cream. What flavor did you get?" I asked, drawing slow, wide circles on her back with my palm.

"Cookies and Cream. Uncle Klaus got the sweet tea flavor, but it tasted like sneakers."

We all smiled at that, except for Klaus.

I kept my voice low and soothing while I spoke, her brown eyes growing heavy. It seemed she hadn't slept well, after all.

"Cookies and Cream is one of my favorites, too. Hey, have you ever been to the carnival?"

She shook her head no. "What's that?"

"A carnival is like a traveling party, with rides and games and treats, and it's coming to town this weekend. They have fried oreos with ice cream on top, which is like Cookies and Cream, but even better. Maybe your Uncle Klaus could take you there."

"Maybe Daddy can take me! Daddy, will you take me to the carneyball?"

"Of course, Evie. Anything you want, sweetheart."

I met his eyes and smiled warmly, knowing he just made his little girl's day.

But the smile he gave me in return made my heart pound, the smolder in his eyes quickly ingniting something inside me that had been dormant for some time.

Evelyn sat up at that moment, apparently having gotten her second wind.

"I forgotted I made you a picture. Daddy, can I get it for her?"

"Of course, Evie. Uncle Kol will take you, okay?"

Elijah's voice was so different when he spoke to her, his whole demeanor softening.

I would have never thought the cold, arrogant man from the police station could speak so gently.

Evelyn hopped off the couch, wrapping both hands around Kol's large one. He chuckled as she dragged him down the hall.

"She's so sweet," I whispered, more to myself than anyone else.

"Thank you. Her presence in this house has been a welcome change for all of us. Without her..."