Chapter Four | My Fair Lady

The persistent vibration of my phone against the coffee table had Tyler's dark eyes rolling from beside me at the kitchen counter

"Which one is that? Officer Lovemuffin or The Godfather?"

I laughed as I pressed my palms to Tyler's chest and shoved him with all my strength. Then I rushed over to grab my phone before he could see.

Ooh, tough one. But I'd have to say Strawberry Licorice Laces. You?

"It's Officer Lovemuffin," I grinned. "By the way, if you call him that to his face, I'm never speaking to you again."

"Sounds like a win-win," he shrugged, before coming closer to fasten my dragonfly bracelet for me.

I'd been texting back and forth with Jackson and Elijah all week. Jackson's texts were light and playful, while Elijah's were more serious conversations about Evelyn's situation.

But no matter who sent the texts, my heart still fluttered wildly at the alerts.

"Sounds more like someone's jealous that I have two gentleman callers, while his phone is drier than the Sahara."

I lifted his silent black iPhone between two fingers and swung it back and forth.

"No way." He snatched it from my hands, shaking his head. "I have done the whole playing the field thing, and I am definitely not jealous. Juggling two women at once wasn't worth the trouble."

I pulled on my navy and white Chucks with a smirk. "I remember quite well. Poor Vicki Donovan had no idea about that girl Jules from NYU..."

"Until she found her at my apartment. That was definitely not worth the broken jaw, by the way."

"Don't forget the sweet black eye."

He scowled at the reminder that both girls got their best shots in before storming out and leaving him all alone.

I was just teasing, but when I saw the hint of sadness in his eyes, I instantly felt remorse.

"I'm sure the right girl was just waiting for you to get over the whole manwhore phase of your life. She'll be here when she's supposed to be."

"Maybe you're right." He scooped up Dolly and rubbed her fiercely under her chin. "Or maybe I'm just destined to become a little old cat lady," he smiled halfheartedly.

"I'll come visit you and your harem of kittens on the weekends," I promised.

After fussing with my hair one more time, and applying my cake flavored lip gloss, I was ready to go. I wrapped an arm around Tyler's waist and pulled him out the door.

"The first carnival night of 2019," I cried, clapping my hands excitedly as we walked down the block towards the schoolyard. "It now officially feels like fall."