TWELVE | RUN AWAY

The abandoned train station was not an ideal upgrade for Rhea, but she wasn't complaining. It was better than a half-burnt down house. At least, Derek gave her the small back portion of the train which consisted of her own door, a long bench covered by blankets and a box of her clothes and belongings. She really couldn't complain, knowing that some people had nothing. She had added a few little touches to make the small box-like room seem like home. Bright bulb lights draped across the steel roofing of the train, making her compartment seem cozy. The bench she slept on was about the size of a love seat and it was filled with multiple dark-colored pillows. A dark navy blue blanket hung off the side of her makeshift bed, Rhea entangled within it. Her phone screen lit up, a disturbing alarm sound emitting from the small device. A silent groan escaping from her lips. Rhea rose from her bed, cracking her neck and sore bones, a small yawn escaping her mouth. She stood up heading over to the large black file cabinet that she was using as a dresser. Throwing a burgundy blouse with patterned circles on, Rhea let her dark hair fall from her fluffy bun, her locks landing in messy curls on her shoulders. Her fingers hooked through the belt loop of her white jeans, sliding them over her hips. "Derek?" Rhea called for her brother as she ran out of the abandoned train, heading toward the concrete steps. She slipped her vans on, hissing as the heel of the shoe dug into the back of her ankle. "Are you here?" Her voice echoed, bouncing off the cold walls. It was silent as she stood, waiting for a response. "No, of course not. 'Cause why would you possibly want to waste your time bringing your sister to school when you're a powerful alpha," she grumbled as she knew that she had to walk to school in the cold.

Rhea set the books that weren't going to be used in her locker, ignoring the noise of the bustling students behind her. Shutting her locker and spinning around, she bumped into a strong chest and came face to face with a shy, blonde, curly-headed boy whose eyes widened at the sight of her. The boy immediately tensed up and spun around, speed-walking away from the young girl. The young Hale girl's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, wondering where she had seen those innocent baby blue eyes. She tilted her head as she knew he couldn't have been on of Stiles or Scott's acquaintances. Her brain clicked like a light bulb running after the boy who sped walked down the hall. They reached a hallway that was empty except for the two of them. "Isaac Daniel Lahey," Rhea scolded, making the boy freeze in his spot. He twisted around with a guilt-ridden look across his face. His blue eyes purposely avoided her strong green ones. She marched up to him, lightly smacking his shoulders. "You fricken jerk. I searched all over for you at the beginning of this year. I thought you moved away or worse," Isaac stayed frozen in his spot as she scolded him. "Where the hell have you been?" she yelled but mostly at herself for not finding her childhood friend earlier. Isaac looked down at her white shoes, a distraught look in his eyes. "I'm sorry," he told her, quietly. Honestly, he knew she was back. He remembered seeing her on the first day of sophomore year, desperately wanting to reach out to her, but he didn't. He didn't bother to try talking to her because he believed that she either wouldn't have remembered him or wouldn't even want to associate with him. Now, he knew how truly wrong he was. She tugged at his blue long sleeve, pulling him into a tight hug. His arms coiled around her waist, breathing in her soothing scent; lavender and mint. Her arms tightened as they were secured around his neck, her worried face nuzzling into his shoulder. Isaac had the smallest of smiles on his face. He missed his best friend. He began to feel rejected and unloved after she disappeared, always sitting in the lunchroom alone or never being noticed on the lacrosse team. But now that she was there, he felt better, calmer and possibly safer. But then Rhea noticed something about him. His scent was different. She could tell that there was a type of darkness around him and loneliness within his heart but that wasn't what caught her off-guard. What caught her off-guard was the scent she had become comfortable with throughout her whole life. She pulled back, her eyes searching for his. "You didn't," she spoke, softly, her body scrunching together. Isaac didn't want to let go of her, so his fingers clung to her forearms. "He gave you the bite, didn't he?" Rhea asked, quite aggressively, her lips turning down in a frown. Isaac's confusion instantly morphed into a look of sadness and at that moment he regretted saying yes to Derek Hale. Isaac nodded his head, his blonde curls bouncing at his motion. Isaac could tell that she was pissed at him which made him look back down at his shoes. She wanted to throttle her brother. Derek knew. He knew that Isaac used to be her best friend. The fact that Derek didn't even tell her prior to Isaac receiving the bite pissed her off the most. Rhea's eyes landed on the black bruise that resided on his left eye. Her hand gingerly touched the bruised area, making sure not to put pressure on the area. "Who did this?" She asked, her voice was strained with rage. Isaac stayed silent, looking away from her but she didn't seem to like that as she moved his head back towards her. "Isaac, who hurt you?" her voice was softer and it seemed to calm Isaac and it reminded him that he could 100% trust her. "My dad," he whispered. Rhea's eyes widened. She should have known. She started to beat herself up over it because she remembered what Mr. Lahey was like. After Isaac's older brother Camden died, she saw how different his father was. She knew he was always a little mean towards Isaac but she felt terrible for not thinking that he was in danger. Isaac watched as Rhea went through her mental turmoil. He gently shook her arm to get her attention. "Hey," he voiced as she glimpsed up at him. "I'm fine, okay?" Rhea frowned at the uptick in his heartbeat. She knew he was lying but she didn't have the heart to argue with him. She just got him back. She wasn't going to lose him again. Rhea launched in his arms again, hugging him, tightly. Isaac squeezed her back as he let out a shaky breath. He glanced up at the ceiling when he felt his eyes water. "I missed you so much," he whispered. Rhea smiled against his shoulder, humming a quick yes. The two friends stayed like that until the first warning bell for class.