The Golden Girl

Hillside Lake was an impressive city with its labyrinthine paved streets that were made of iridescent tiles, golden domed rooftops, fruit scented statues of dancing maidens, fountains of water that changed colours, flower perfumed sewage system, meticulous public transport with free omnibuses that were drawn by elephants and large breeds of rhino. There was even a sky-high gleaming castle draped in clouds. The city was beside the northern edge of the Silver Lake body of salt water. Close to the city were the fishing docks, wooden piers and hundreds of boats of many types. There were people inside kayaks, brigantines, green topsail schooners and basket boats that were fishing in the lake and along the Silver Snake River. On the other side of the lake, crocodiles lurked among the tall reeds and rushes but the citizens all knew about that. There were signposts warning people not to swim over there.  

"I don't like it," Electra said, looking at one such warning signs.

"It's a bonus for hunters that need crocodile leather," Hanzak smiled after seeing her eyes widen. "Hillside Lake city is famous for crocodile meat."

"Please don't make me eat any."

The city gate was open, and three guards on duty questioned Hanzak. He gave them his father's name, Zack Eldrich, and explained he was going to work as a blacksmith. The guards wore chain mail hauberks made of whitened steel, and helmets with green plumes. After a crisp exchange, Hanzak and his "sister" Electra were allowed into the city. The first thing he noticed was a tall tower that was zebra striped in black and white stones: a typical building in Diaphry for the police and Night Patrol. There were police officers in armour and blue surcoats walking along the streets amongst the crowds of pedestrians.  He turned down a quieter street and found a tavern called Pig and Sticks, where a group of elderly men sat on a bench just outside, playing a game using tiny carved wooden shapes. He used the few coins he had to pay for food and a room for the night. 

Electra complained about everything since they got there. She didn't want to share a room with him, and she didn't want to pretend to be Hanzaks' sister.  During the night, Hanzak let her sleep in the bed, and he slept on the floor. By morning, he was out in the early hours of dawn, looking for a place to get work. He just wanted to earn money to pay for food and lodgings and some new clean clothes. Electra was proving to be a burden and she wasn't helping with her nagging and name calling. Not only did she insult him, but she also talked badly about everyone she met in the city. "The guards were ugly," she said the day before and she went on: "The tavern keeper is so fat. His wife looks like a man. Their daughter is stupid. Their customers are smelly old men. You're a liar and have enormous ear wax. I don't like your name, and I'm not your damned sister!"

"Where do you want to be, Electra?" he asked as they left the Pig and Sticks to find a cheaper tavern. "Hillside Lake doesn't impress you at all."

"I want to be far away from you as possible! You're horrible and a thief!"

He wasn't going to rise to that. This woman was found alone in a dark ruin, in the middle of nowhere, until he found her, or she might've died there. He realised he had to think like that, and remind himself over and over that he'd done her a favour. Electra was becoming impossible to deal with as the hours wore on. Hanzak was due to begin working with a blacksmith tomorrow but he didn't want Electra there. He wanted her to just go and leave him. 

They came to a different bed and breakfast with a curious name called The Headless Horse. It was so cheap that he could pay for two rooms and meals were included. Electra vanished into her small rented room that Hanzak paid for, and then he breathed. It was good to be free of her. He thought about the golden statues in the ruin, where he'd discovered her, and he wondered if he could grab one of those once he was able to afford a wagon and horse. Then he put that idea aside. He didn't want it. He couldn't be a thief forever, and he didn't want to steal any valuables from a ruined castle that might even be cursed or crawling with poisonous insects. He went to the common room for supper, and Electra wasn't present. He went up to her room later, to tell her that she should eat before the hour is up, or she'll miss it. No answer.

He left her alone. 

When the three moons shone fully through the window, Hanzak was in his bed. He nearly drifted off to sleep when someone knocked on the door. He was startled by that sudden knocking.

"Your sister, sir. Your sister.." said a muffled voice. Hanzak reluctantly slid from the bed, and went across the room, tired and annoyed. He opened the door, and found the tavern keeper there. He was an old man, dark skinned, bald and plump around the middle. But he was kind with a soft voice and was going blind in his left eye. 

"What's happened to Electra?" 

"Your sister has gone and she wanted you to have this." The tavern keeper produced a bundle wrapped in black cloth. Hanzak took it from him and thanked him, confused about what was happening. The tavern keeper went away, and Hanzak removed the cloth. He was astonished to find a small figurine of a woman that appeared to be made of gold. It was heavy, and looked real enough. It could be fake, or painted gold colour. He wanted to find out what it was. He wondered where Electra got it from and why had she given it to him. Then in the folds of the cloth was a flower that seemed fresh and resembled one of the flowers he found in the Cavistan Range. It showed no sings of wilting or dying. It was as new as Electra herself had been inside the dark mountains where he found her in an ancient ruin. He went downstairs, looking for her. He went out into the front yard but saw a Night Patrolling officer across the street. He quickly reentered the tavern after he remembered the law of curfew. He wondered if Electra could get herself arrested now for being outside late at night. He returned to the rented room, and found that the golden figurine was looking more like brass. The flower was dead.