(3) Definitely Calm

"I can't believe you left me for some girl," Yoongi scoffs, taking a sip of his long black. The paper cup singed his fingers slightly.

The din of the cafe masked all intelligible speech, so Yoongi found himself speaking slightly louder than normal to be heard over the midday rush. The distinct scent of noodles and meat wafts over from other tables. Yoongi's stomach gurgles wistfully.

Namjoon, who sat across from him, smiles. His maroon hair is styled off of his forehead in a quiff, dark eyes glittering with knowledge. Yoongi had always admired how smart his friend was. Like Hoseok, Yoongi had attended middle and senior school with his taller counterpart. Namjoon was one of the only boys Yoongi was lucky enough to call a friend throughout middle school.

The other kids?

They thought of him as an outcast, and found him too intimidating to approach. Not that Yoongi minded all that much. Being left alone to his thoughts was quite peaceful, and he could nap through lunchtime in the school's library, amidst large shelves of books filled with dragons, unrequited teenage love, and abandoned houses at midnight.

Namjoon eventually broke his bubble, and they bonded over similar interests. Music, photography, even rap. It took some convincing, but Yoongi had opened up to Namjoon's small circle of friends in senior school. Kim Seokjin in the year above, and his friend Jeon Junghyun. Through Junghyun, he had met his brother Jungkook in his last year of school- Jungkook being shy, quiet, awkward, and two years below him. Somehow Taehyung and Jimin, both just one year above Jungkook, had also met Yoongi at one point or another through Jungkook (the three of them being inseparable until just this year when Jimin went to study abroad at a dancing academy in Busan).

And Hoseok?

Yoongi had always seen him around, even talking and laughing with Namjoon and Jimin. Although Hoseok was in his year level, Yoongi had never really acquainted himself with him as much as he did Namjoon.

Yoongi's thoughts then drift to Hoseok, his untidy blonde hair bouncing on his head as he bowed, his long eyelashes fluttering peacefully in his sleep, the way he spoke so passionately about something Yoongi felt passionate towards as well.

Wow, this coffee really was quite warm, wasn't it? Yoongi started to feel his cheeks flush.

"Did you like working with Hoseok?" Namjoon asks, quirking an eyebrow up.

How does he always know what I'm thinking?

"I- yeah?" Yoongi was confused at this sudden question. "I don't think he likes me much, though."

Namjoon was genuinely surprised, leaning back, his brows furrowing in confusion.

"He doesn't? What makes you think that?"

"In middle and senior school he never really liked being around me, I guess," Yoongi mumbled, not liking to think back on all the kids who ignored him or looked down on him. His gut twisted in agreement.

"I'm sure he's different now," Namjoon offers, relaxing and folding his hands together in thought. "Besides, he was really nice and funny when Minyeon and I met with him yesterday. Always cracking jokes, and smiling."

Namjoon breaks out in a smile thinking back on it, his eyes gazing to a faraway place, crater-like dimples dug in his cheeks.

"Yeah, but that's the problem," Yoongi persists, playing with the wool of his beanie. "He's so... I don't know, flustered around me? I guess it's a change from blatant ignorance, though ."

"You're overthinking everything," Namjoon insists, waving him off, a sly grin spreading on his face. "Hyung, are you sure you're upset that I left with a girl or that you got left with Hoseok?"